2021 Sierra High Route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: 2021 Sierra High Route? Away I go.

Post by mxoyez »

gregw822 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am After many months of obsessive planning and preparation, I'm leaving town this morning for my attempt at the High Route. I'm meeting my daughter and her roommate in Bridgeport tomorrow afternoon. We'll leave my car behind and spend a couple days in Yosemite before reaching Road's End the evening of the 4th. My trip starts the next morning. I've planned, packed and trained for this adventure more than I have for any other. Nevertheless, as departure day has approached I've felt some apprehension about the magnitude of doing this route alone at this age. I may be in great shape, but there seems to be a limit to how much strength you can build once you're well into your 60s. Lazy and soft at 37 may turn out to be better than hard and sharp at 67. But I'm also very excited and thrilled to be headed out for the High Route, at long last. If all goes well, I'll be back home by the end of the month with stories to tell and pictures to share. So long for now...
Good Luck!!
Shaggy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2021 Sierra High Route? Away I go.

Post by Shaggy »

gregw822 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am After many months of obsessive planning and preparation, I'm leaving town this morning for my attempt at the High Route. I'm meeting my daughter and her roommate in Bridgeport tomorrow afternoon. We'll leave my car behind and spend a couple days in Yosemite before reaching Road's End the evening of the 4th. My trip starts the next morning. I've planned, packed and trained for this adventure more than I have for any other. Nevertheless, as departure day has approached I've felt some apprehension about the magnitude of doing this route alone at this age. I may be in great shape, but there seems to be a limit to how much strength you can build once you're well into your 60s. Lazy and soft at 37 may turn out to be better than hard and sharp at 67. But I'm also very excited and thrilled to be headed out for the High Route, at long last. If all goes well, I'll be back home by the end of the month with stories to tell and pictures to share. So long for now...
Best of luck to you out there! We're all pulling for you!
Josh M
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2021 Sierra High Route?

Post by Josh M »

Greg how did it go!?