Feedback request on Rec.Gov for SIERRA N.F. only

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Feedback request on Rec.Gov for SIERRA N.F. only

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The "print your own permit" system is ripe for abuse. I hope they have thought this through. For example, print your permit, then cancel and get a partial refund, but go out anyway. Or over-permit, get ones that you have no intention of using, sell it to someone else. That person can just claim they are you, since there is no law that you have to carry your ID while hiking. Similar to ticket scalping. Lots of other sneaky ways to cheat the system. But the most likely people will just not cancel at all in time for others to legally get that permit. I have never heard how they are going to get people to cancel. There is little incentive.

The permit system as it was last year was difficult for me to put down actual planned locations for each night camping. I simply put down my first night, then chose the "general area" entry for all the rest. I am just to slow on the computer to get it in before the time limit was up. And I really saw no reason to go back and revise the permit since it was not required to get the permit. Although I do plan daily travel, I rarely follow the plan exactly, so not sure what real value it is. Also, the more of us who carry PLB's, the less important this becomes.

But glad that the FS is listening to suggestions.
agfhst
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by agfhst »

Thanks for doing this, Michaelzim. Good to know that it's still ok to wander around randomly in the mountains.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

First up...I forgot to say in my update on phone-call with Prather supervisor, that we also discussed the suggestion for a "Frequent Hiker Program"...that would basically make a permit application more streamlined.
Much of the basis for it already exists in our Rec.Gov accounts ref. personal info required, our "history" of hiking permits/trips already done and completed, etc. Thus the system knows if one has already seen the backcountry video, acknowledged the 'ranger talk', and so on c/o those prior permits. This idea is not a huge big deal but it may expedite things if in a rush or doing a permit application c/o a smartphone outside the ranger station.

@Wandering Daisy Yes, your comments, and the majority of "issues" that have been voiced in the numerous permits and Rec.Gov posts have been relevant to everywhere else other than Sierra NF.
Ummmmmmmmm.....so I wonder if you would be interested in posting a "Feedback for Inyo & National Parks" thread?! Basically doing the same thing as this one here for Sierra NF. I'm sure Cindy G. over at Inyo in Bishop would be open to suggestions. I don't know anyone in Parks to contact, as Yosemite for one is so darn esoteric and difficult to figure out re "W" type permits I have not bothered. That in itself is a statement of need for improvement as I'm not a total neophyte to the permits process!
The reason I do not want to start such a thread is that I have almost no experience of anywhere but Sierra NF so do not really know the problems. I think first-hand knowledge is required to give a decent take on what the issues are, and you Daisy (+ others) have way more scope for that than me. Yeah, feedback may not change much in the end, but it could perhaps alleviate some bad ideas in future at least!

@agfhst ...Yep, I don't think too much is going to change on that "itinerary" form as both parties seem to realize that there are people like us that just wander around out there and have no fixed route that lasts the interface with reality. Long may that last too!

Best ~ Michaelzim