Wet Wanderings, Loop Over the Kuna Crest and Back, 7/24 - 7/29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wet Wanderings, Loop Over the Kuna Crest and Back, 7/24 - 7/29

Post by tomba »

Since I didn't see this mentioned: Parker Pass Creek watershed (where Kuna Lake is located) is a no camping zone. Perhaps because Tuolumne Meadows area gets drinking water from there.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great photos of places that remind me of SEKI.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

tomba wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:00 pm Since I didn't see this mentioned: Parker Pass Creek watershed (where Kuna Lake is located) is a no camping zone. Perhaps because Tuolumne Meadows area gets drinking water from there.
I realize that it is no camping, and I had no intention of camping there. However, I could barely make it from my tent 40 feet to the hole I dug, least of all 7 or 8 miles cross country down to Tuolumne Meadows. I camped at least 200 feet from the lake, buried my waste, packed out my TP, and did my best to minimize my impact. I guarantee that the 100's of people bathing and doing other things in the creek on a daily basis have a far greater impact on the water quality. The "waste" I left buried near Kuna Lake was going to end up in that watershed one way or another anyway once I got sick and wasn't able to hike back over the Kuna Crest as originally planned. Sorry, but I don't know what else I could have done. It was not my intention to get sick. (Shrug)
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

That's understandable. I just think it is useful to mention the no camping zone so that people inspired by this trip report don't plan to camp there.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Safety always is a higher priority than "rules". Sorry you got sick. I think we underestimate the impact of simple illness when backpacking. I have walked out miles on a sprained ankle, yet like you, been entirely disabled due to illness (thankfully brief 24-hour variety). I now bring my own food to eat in the car driving to the trailhead to avoid the chance of food poisoning.

From Lake Helen, I once hauled water to Kuna Crest and camped. Then walked north on the crest and then dropped back to the trail just as it goes down to the river. I did that trip specifically to avoid thick mosquitoes- it is always windy up on the Crest. There were big cat footprints in snow patches but never saw the creature (a mountain lion?) Perhaps not the best route in a storm, though. I also really like Alger Lakes.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 am From Lake Helen, I once hauled water to Kuna Crest and camped. Then walked north on the crest and then dropped back to the trail just as it goes down to the river. I did that trip specifically to avoid thick mosquitoes- it is always windy up on the Crest. There were big cat footprints in snow patches but never saw the creature (a mountain lion?) Perhaps not the best route in a storm, though. I also really like Alger Lakes.
Hmmm, I saw some scat in a couple of places on the saddle between Parker Peak and Mt Wood, but it wasn't cat. It was large pellets like elk size. Maybe Bighorn sheep? Of course, a big cat could also be crossing over the pass from one hunting ground to another as well, not necessarily hunting along the crest.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

tomba wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:19 pm That's understandable. I just think it is useful to mention the no camping zone so that people inspired by this trip report don't plan to camp there.
True, I hadn't thought about that when typing up the trip report.