Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Even very reputable media sources seem to not understand backpacking, vs hiking vs mountaineering, vs rock climbing, etc. So I am not sure what was reported, regardless of media source, was 100% the entire story. The person involved, his family, SAR- they all see it from different lenses. What was reported was the SAR lens. It would be interesting to see the other's story. I also think SAR needs to realize the horrible situation with phone scams and not expect everyone to answer their phone.

I have been in touchy navigation/conditions situations when I was so focused on just finding my location or sheltering from weather that the thought of phoning home would not occur to me, particularly if I thought I had no cell reception. We have not heard from the fellow to explain his side of the story. Public shaming of him in the media does not seem to be a way to encourage him to tell it.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am Even very reputable media sources seem to not understand backpacking, vs hiking vs mountaineering, vs rock climbing, etc. So I am not sure what was reported, regardless of media source, was 100% the entire story. The person involved, his family, SAR- they all see it from different lenses. What was reported was the SAR lens. It would be interesting to see the other's story. I also think SAR needs to realize the horrible situation with phone scams and not expect everyone to answer their phone...
True. Multiple sides to every story. There is the official version, the media version, the person's involved version, what the public widely believes, and the truth. They seldom all align.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

When I went overdue with my son in Tehipite Valley, the story in the Fresno Bee was mostly wrong. IIRC, they said or implied that I got lost off trail with no cell phone or GPS. How did they come up with those "facts" when SAR hadn't even found me yet?

Never lost.
Had cell phone - no service (you'd think a Fresno paper may have deduced that a cell phone was basically useless in most of the Sierra)
Had GPS and used it to record my tracks.

More fiction than fact in that story, as I recall.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.