new "climate normals"

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: new "climate normals"

Post by Jimr »

With all due respect, I think, adrenaline, you have created a straw man.
new "Climate Normals" has connotations that "The way we define and average snow year" doesn't. Since Frozenintime was quoting a twitter thread, they were not his original words and it would not be right to change words when quoting, but the rephrasing alters the summary to exclude the connotations originally invoked.
I like what WD said about todays technology. A 10 year moving average updated annually, I think, would be better served.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:14 pm Somehow I knew this thread would end up here...
Why? Because not everybody has bought in to the unproven theory of:
frozenintime wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:48 pm relatively rapid anthropogenic climate change
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

TahoeJeff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:43 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:14 pm Somehow I knew this thread would end up here...
Why? Because not everybody has bought in to the unproven theory of:
frozenintime wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:48 pm relatively rapid anthropogenic climate change
Because certain member's beliefs are so emotional that you see people talking about less snow in the mountains as an attack. So you get defensive.

We can't just talk about "well, in 2021, an 80% snow year will be less snow than 2020 which was also an 80% snow year". Am I a little butt hurt we can't talk about snow? Yeah, probably :|
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:09 pm talk about snow
Come on up and make some turns!

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/ ... to-friday/
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

TahoeJeff wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:26 am
c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:09 pm talk about snow
Come on up and make some turns!

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/ ... to-friday/
Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews. I think the Mt Rose area got enough to be fun, but most other reports people say it's too thin still. Unfortunately the next day I can get free is Sunday, and taking days off work for October skiing... idk if I'm there yet.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

KW_10-25-21a.jpg
Kirkwood Monday noon after about 30 inches. Trees have since shed snow. Squaw and Mammoth will open Friday, Rose soon, but Heavenly and Kirkwood probably not, though they could. Note have Epic Tahoe local season pass again. Not about snow depth but rather difficult staffing up especially since pandemic. Plenty of bc pics already on teton gravity forum Tahoe thread. Although I could since have bc gear, given the $4.50/gal gas cost, that equates about $70 round trip gas cost alone besides the long 4 hour each way monotonous drive I hate. In my old age am not so impatient. Will enjoy plenty of skiing this winter and be posting more GoPro8 captures on my youtube account for others to drool over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

So some members post comments that you don’t agree with and you automatically state

[/quote]
Somehow I knew this thread would end up here... #-o
[/quote]

So what makes you so right?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

SSSdave wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:10 pm others to drool over.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that

Milton Friedman