October backpack 10-15-21 to 10-16-21 and abort

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

October backpack 10-15-21 to 10-16-21 and abort

Post by robertseeburger »

Well, I haven't done much in last month in the Sierra. But for each of the last five years, I have had at least one successful October Sierra backpack.
October isn't for everyone. In addition to the colder temperatures, the nights are so much longer.
But I have usually found a way to get out there. Being retired, I am flexible on dates. I monitor the weather closely and look for an opening.
Usually there is at least one period, after a storm has hit, for a last attempt at summer, and the weather can be quite nice.
This year...not so. There were storms from the beginning of the month and no openings presented themselves. Finally, it seemed like there was the opening I anticipated, starting on 10/15 and going on for a week, before a larger storm hit. At the same time, there was a storm that appeared to be north of most of the Sierra and it would miss us. As there was risk, my friend Gary and I hatched a plan to visit three different lakes, spanning, north of Yosemite, the Yosemite area, and then one near Bishop over a week. Each time we would re check weather.
As you can tell by the title, we did not complete the trip.

But we did get our first leg in, so here goes. This will be a short TR

Destination...a popular lake north of Yosemite and south of Tahoe near the PCT.

We made it up to trailhead on 10/15 and the weather, as expected, was beautiful.
A view north shortly after starting the hike.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (14).jpeg
And the view as we got closer to destination. Cold crisp air..no smoke! We could have been hiking in shorts.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1.jpeg
There were still some remnants of the last storm. This had cleared out most of the hikers. One of the benefits of hiking in October.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (13).jpeg
The lake was set against a western oriented ridge. We got there at around 4PM and the sun had already set. It got cold quickly.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (1).jpeg
The next morning it was also clear. No clouds which was good. We set about to do some fishing.

raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (2).jpeg
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (4).jpeg
The drought had obviously impacted the size of the lake. The level is way down from where it had been previously.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (7).jpeg
A view across the lake..
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (8).jpeg
I went to fish.. and this is what I found. In 50 years of fishing, this has never happened to me.
I NEVER carry a duplicate reel or a duplicate rod. Well almost never. I had decided that I was going to replace the reel because it had been worn out
in other areas. And in this case, I had a second reel me. Kind of a good karma thing to have a second reel available the only time one breaks.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (11).jpeg
It didnt do me much good though. The biggest fish I caught was a 7 incher.
Gary on the other hand did much better.
Here is his best a 16 1/2 inch cutthroat.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (6).jpeg
Some trout slowly swimming in the lake.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (12).jpeg

OK, it was a beautiful day of fishing. We saw a couple of deer hunters in the area.
We left with the sun shining on Saturday , the next day 10/16. We planned to drive to the next trailhead. And then hike up to lake number 2 and spend a layover day there. All was good. It was 7:00 Saturday evening by the time we got a cell signal to check the weather.
( Yes we could have checked the weather with our Garmin/Inreach devices, but we knew we were going to drive, so we didnt..just decided to get from our cell phones.) This is what we saw.
raymond lake 10-21 - 1 (9).jpeg
I have been looking at weather.gov for years now as a technique to monitor the weather for backpacking trips.
I have never seen 85mph as potential wind speed. We knew that the weather was changing and that is why we hatched the original plan to hit 3 separate lakes with three separate entries over one week instead of a longer trip. I was actually hoping to get into Kings Canyon from Florence Lake but abandoned that thought because the weather seemed to be changing so fast.

So there we were driving to the campsite when this report came up. I read it to Gary who was driving, kind of stunned. We both agreed. Abort.
No sense torturing ourselves. And as we discussed it, we also discussed risk. Usually when looking at weather it is just thinking about weather it interrupts enjoyment. We both agreed this was going to be too cold, too windy..and perhaps even dangerous to be there.
We pulled into the campsite, and instead of getting ready for the next couple of days of backpacking, pulled out a bottle of wine, and started
discussing various options for backpacking in the sierras ( and the winds) ....for 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: October backpack 10-15-21 to 10-16-21 and abort

Post by c9h13no3 »

Get it while it's good, get out when it ain't. Well played sir :).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. And you got two good days. Nice work.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Gorgeous weather for the days your were out but I agree that is the one of the scariest weather reports I've ever seen. I would have certainly aborted if I saw that. With the apparently really big storm coming in now, it may in fact be time to start High Sierra daydreaming about 2022.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I would have done the same had I seen that report-- wind is the worst! However, we had just reached the "Crown Lake of my dreams " on 10/17, and I had just struck out trying to fish it at 7: Dark- 30. We were keen to eat big Brookies, and to feed up the hungry dogs. It snowed like heck on and off all night, with crazy, freight-train wind sounds high above us... scary enough, but then it dawned a bluebird day-- not a cloud left above us, though there were wild, purplish cloud masses and lenticular (windy looking) clouds to the northeast-- right about where you and your friend were. So you can luck out, we enjoyed our white new world.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Dwwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by Dwwd »

Good decision to abort. In addition to the potential hazardous exposure at high elevations as noted above, one also must consider feet of snow does make it hard to hike outward. And/or the car at the trailhead might be in a snow drift. But at least there was a couple of beautiful days with clear weather, awesome views.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I think most of us here are well past the point in our lives where we have the need to "tough it out" just to prove how badass we are.
Like everyone else, I have the gear to handle the weather, but why continue?
If it is no longer fun, then abort.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=