Wishon/Rancheria Creek to The White Divide

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wishon/Rancheria Creek to The White Divide

Post by Harlen »

Unlike my trip here in the spring, this time I had no trouble at all with river crossings-- all the challenges were about water availability. Several times on our 10 day trip we had to haul water (onerous task) boil snow, and search long and hard for water sources. After the weather we've experienced (we had two short snow storms), I reckon there will be little trouble finding water. On our way out on 10/19, we were already benefitting from the run-off from the snow that fell on 10/17, which was 4" plus. [* I had the date of the snowfall off- it was the night of 10/17, and into the early morning-10/18.]

For future reference in a draught year, the stretch up to Woodchuck Lake was very dry. We searched and found a clean pool, barely big enough to get water from, and we camped by it. That was about 3 miles south of Woodchuck Lake on the northern trail under Loper Pk. So fill up at the lower Woodchuck Cr. crossings, and plan to make it all the way to the lake.

Other than that, it is great out there!
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wishon/Rancheria Creek to The White Divide

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What about smoke and air quality when you were out?
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wishon/Rancheria Creek to The White Divide

Post by Harlen »

On Crown Pass, date 10/12, the smoky haze was evident to the south from the KNP fire. The views were nice and clear everywhere else.
After the weather system that blew in hard from the south on 10/11, it was all clear everywhere for the rest of the trip.

100_5943.JPG

100_6146.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.