Requesting feedback on Evo Valley route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Requesting feedback on Evo Valley route

Post by bwd »

Hello!

I am hoping to get some feedback on the below route for a ~10 night trip at the very end of August [see also here: https://caltopo.com/m/0MMF]. It runs roughly from Courtright->Hell-for-Sure->around the Hermit counterclockwise->resupply at MTR->Piute Cyn->Darwin Bench->Hell-for-Sure->Courtright.
trip.jpg
The looping around Hermit was inspired by a great TR from @kylekuzma (see here), so thanks for the inspiration!

I've come to realize that I enjoy the not-quite-so-high-country more than the truly austere stuff, so there is more time on trail than many here would prefer. That said, I'm always open to wisdom from my betters.

Some specific questions:
1. McGee Lakes Pass seems fairly straightforward (looking at Secors & a recent report from @michaelzim). Am I wrong about that?
2. Lamarck Col now seems to be officially maintained?
3. I'd love to add excursions to one or two of the lakes accessible from Piute Cyn or the trail up to Lamarck Col. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Requesting feedback on Evo Valley route

Post by erutan »

1) If you're used to XC you should find it easy.

2) Not to my knowledge, it's been signed for a few years now where it splits from the trail to upper lamarck lake and well used and easy to follow on the east side (there has been some actual trail work in the past), but the west side is still CYA at the top and a bit come and go from the lakes and through the benches, though easy enough to figure out.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

In my opinion, the route over Lamarck Col (between upper Lamarck Lake and Darwin Bench) is not maintained, officially or not. I was over it last weekend and have been over it numerous times the past few years. Route-finding is most important at the base of the climb to the Col from the eastern-most lake of the 4-lake chain in Darwin Canyon (not including the lake that's at the very eastern part of the canyon). In particular, it's important to know the direction of the col from this point because it's possible to head the wrong direction, resulting in much wasted effort. Several use trails up this slope appear here and there, but they can seem ephemeral if you go a bit wayward. On the east side of the Col, the only tricky part I've encountered is, if heading eastbound, there's a spur trail before the first mile of descent; this spur often seems more trodden than the main trail and appears to head straight, whereas the main trail continues with a rightward angle to go over a gentle rise before heading back downward. Last week, the spur wasn't quite so obvious, so it might be less tricky than it has been in the past.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

As for excursions, going XC via the Keyhole between Darwin Bench and Piute Canyon is quite rewarding.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@bwd Excuse tardy reply but have been away for 12 days (10 days of which up in the Sierras high country).

To answer your question about McGee Lakes Pass...Yes it is a very simple, easy, walk in the park pass.

Best ~ Michaelzim
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Just seeing this! Sorry i wasnt able to offer info in time but i'm extremely happy that my TR helped.