Eastern Sierra Day hike suggestions for trip with elderly parents

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Eastern Sierra Day hike suggestions for trip with elderly parents

Post by SDTrojan »

Hi everyone,

I have a four day reservation for Rock Creek Campground this weekend, and will be going with my parents, who are 68 and 62.
They are in decent shape and love hiking, but they've been a bit more sedentary during COVID, and we'll be coming up from sea level, so I don't want to take them on anything too strenuous, and certainly not on the first day.

I'd love to hear recommendations for scenic day hikes, pretty lakes to sling up a hammock by for my mom, and nice places to sit down and enjoy a picnic. I'll be playing the pack mule role.

I think Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes and a side trip to Lower Morgan Lake will be just the ticket, since it has killer views and not too much elevation gain, and was wondering if there are any similar day hikes that folks could share - scenic, longer day hikes that are not overly strenuous.

Was additionally thinking of doing Crystal Lake by Mammoth and stopping by Convict Lake.
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Re: Eastern Sierra Day hike suggestions for trip with elderly parents

Post by windknot »

Since you're staying at Rock Creek campground, day hikes in Little Lakes Valley make the most sense -- the one you named is very scenic with little elevation gain. I can't think of anything with similar views for the effort, except maybe 20 Lakes Basin near Tioga Pass (but that's over an hour drive away).
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Altitude affects everyone differently, but I went to Rock Creek in my early 60's, leaving from 1000 feet. The altitude change was almost too much for me....headaches, nausea, etc. Normally I acclimate around 8500 feet and am ok, but going to 10K pushed it a little. All I'm saying is be flexible with your plans. Have a nice trip!!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Windknot has the right idea. And you could add Sabrina Basin to Twenty Lakes Basin as a place to drive for additional hiking. BTW...we are 68 and 69....and backpack 100 miles each summer. Don't underestimate the old folks.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
GGC23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by GGC23 »

Hilton and Davis Lakes are a great alternative to Mosquito Flats / Little Lakes Valley when LLV is too crowded or if you're looking for something different. The hike is not particularly strenuous, although you don't get the instant beautiful scenery that you get on the LLV trail.

Also, if you're planing to hike out of Mosquito Flats, you may want to consider parking at the Hilton Lakes TH regardless. The final mile or so of Rock Creek Rd. from the Hilton TH to the Mosquito Flats TH is only one lane wide but tends to have a lot of traffic in both directions. You also get your fair share of jerks who park in a way that blocks the road when the parking lot fills up (which it often does). Then that one mile stretch becomes a hopeless traffic jam. If I'm heading up to LLV on a weekend or holiday, I leave my car at Hilton Lakes and walk the extra mile.
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted

Post by SDTrojan »

windknot wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:51 pm Since you're staying at Rock Creek campground, day hikes in Little Lakes Valley make the most sense -- the one you named is very scenic with little elevation gain. I can't think of anything with similar views for the effort, except maybe 20 Lakes Basin near Tioga Pass (but that's over an hour drive away).
Thank you! I was thinking of 20 Lakes Basin as well as an option for further afield. Will keep this one in my back pocket if my parents fancy a different area on one of the days. I've never been up there, but had researched it in the past as an option when visiting the Mammoth area.
GGC23 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:36 am Hilton and Davis Lakes are a great alternative to Mosquito Flats / Little Lakes Valley when LLV is too crowded or if you're looking for something different. The hike is not particularly strenuous, although you don't get the instant beautiful scenery that you get on the LLV trail.

Also, if you're planing to hike out of Mosquito Flats, you may want to consider parking at the Hilton Lakes TH regardless. The final mile or so of Rock Creek Rd. from the Hilton TH to the Mosquito Flats TH is only one lane wide but tends to have a lot of traffic in both directions. You also get your fair share of jerks who park in a way that blocks the road when the parking lot fills up (which it often does). Then that one mile stretch becomes a hopeless traffic jam. If I'm heading up to LLV on a weekend or holiday, I leave my car at Hilton Lakes and walk the extra mile.
Thank you! I definitely ran into the traffic jam driving towards Mosquito Flat TH last year, and ended up having to hunt for a spot for quite a while, and parking around a mile from the trailhead. I'll park at Hilton Lakes this time. Will also research the trail and distances for Hilton/Davis Lakes.
balzaccom wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 am Windknot has the right idea. And you could add Sabrina Basin to Twenty Lakes Basin as a place to drive for additional hiking. BTW...we are 68 and 69....and backpack 100 miles each summer. Don't underestimate the old folks.
Thanks! I've only been to Hungry Packer from the Sabrina Basin, but recall that being fairly strenuous. But I suppose one wouldn't need to go all the way back. And definitely not underestimating older backpackers, there are tons of folks in their 60s/70s/80s that I'm sure could kick my behind going up a trail. My parents unfortunately don't make time to hike often anymore, so they'll want to go a bit easier. Meeting older folks on the trail always brings me great joy, since it inspires me to stay active and gives me consolation that this is a hobby I can pursue for the rest of my life.
The Other Tom wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:25 am Altitude affects everyone differently, but I went to Rock Creek in my early 60's, leaving from 1000 feet. The altitude change was almost too much for me....headaches, nausea, etc. Normally I acclimate around 8500 feet and am ok, but going to 10K pushed it a little. All I'm saying is be flexible with your plans. Have a nice trip!!
I'll definitely stay flexible. I'm quite susceptible to altitude sickness myself, and that first day going from sea level to 10k is always a doozie. We'll take it easy and probably just lounge around and only go as far as everyone feels good.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

A couple of more suggestions.

Ruby Lake on the Mono Pass Trail. It's only 2 miles or so from the trailhead.

Take them to lunch at Rock Creek Lakes Resort. You can sit outside so you don't have to worry as much about Covid and treat them to Sue's pie.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

I'll add a few more options if you feel like driving and getting a Yosemite pass. They release ~500passes, 1 week ahead of time at 8AM. I managed to land one yesterday morning.

Parker Lake - not quite as long (1.8miles, one way) but easy with great views from the lake and a nice spot for a hammock. The lower part of the trail tends to get hot in the afternoon.

Gaylor/Granite Lakes - You'll need a park pass, but good alpine scenery for a very short hike. Not many hammock spots though.

Spillway Lake - Also in the park, but this is most similar to LLV trail... longer with minimal gain and really excellent scenery.

Lyle Fork - also in the park, but you can hike as far as you want up the river and escape the crowds. It's always feels different hiking up the river with no particular goal in mind. It seems more like exploring rather than hiking to a specific destination. Great hammock spot.

+1 for the Resort Pies.