TR: Mineral King Glacier Pass - Sawtooth Pass loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
redpakotasea
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Mineral King Glacier Pass - Sawtooth Pass loop

Post by redpakotasea »

I just returned from a 4-day loop in the Mineral King area, 7/21-7/25. Highly recommended! Lucked out with perfect weather and minimal mosquitoes...a few lingering at Little Five Lakes, but apparently much better than early July.

IMG_7111 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Day 1: Hiked from Mineral King trailhead over Glacier Pass (very straightforward class 3) to Spring Lake. 8.2 miles

Starts out steep and stays that way with a few more moderate sections. Took a dip in Monarch Lake. Sand and scree was tiring near the top and coming in from sea level without acclimatizing definitely was having an impact on a couple in our party of 4. Continued up nearly to Sawtooth pass and then traversed left about 100-200 yards at the level of Glacier Pass. The down climb from Glacier was mostly class 2 with a few short class 3 sections and followed a pretty clear use trail through the steepest part. The trail started about 50 ft right of the low point in the notch.

Untitled by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Beautiful granite dihedrals on the right coming down that I thought looked ripe for climbing routes. Turns out there are a few rarely climbed routes on this rock face.

IMG_8744 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Day 2: Spring Lake to Lake 10410 (beautiful cross country section from main trail to get to the lake). 7.4 miles

Cross country from Spring Lake to Blackrock Pass trail. Heard coyotes howling from across the canyon, but couldn't spot them. Unfortunately, an ankle ligament was sacrificed to the talus slope. One member of our party rolled an ankle and had immediate swelling and instability of his left ankle. However, after some aggressive duct tape and high dose ibuprofen, we decided to cautiously press on with the help of poles and trading footwear. It was slower going, but he was confident he could make it with the use of poles and hiking boots. The last segment off trail up to Lake 10410 was gorgeous and we were the only party at the lake that night. Best campsite is on the south side of the lake with views of the Kaweahs.

Untitled by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8762 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8780 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8776 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8802 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Day 3: Lake 10410 to Lost Canyon. 11 miles

Easier terrain made for a very pleasant day. Backtracking through Little Five Lakes was a pleasure and descending to lower Big Five and Lost Canyon was also beautiful. Lots of marmots in Lost Canyon.

IMG_8849 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Day 4: Lost Canyon over Sawtooth Pass to Mineral King trailhead. 9.5 miles

IMG_8870 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8895 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

IMG_8883 by John Hartmann, on Flickr

Fun scree/sand skiing on the way down. Spotted a some pika and what I think was a long tailed weasel on the way down.

IMG_8900 by John Hartmann, on Flickr
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mineral King Glacier Pass - Sawtooth Pass loop

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and great photos! This is an especially scenic 4-day loop -- makes the long drive to Mineral King seem well worth it.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi John,
Looks like an inspirational trip; I keep my wobbly ankles secured tightly in high-rise boots that hardly constitute a fashion statement, but minimize those ankle-rolls. I've not been to the MK area in ages and plan to redress that in late August. I hope to be as lucky as you guys with the weather (and no fires, please!). Thanks for the great post! Cameron
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Wonderful TR, thanks! Next time you might try heading straight for Glacier Pass from 8157 on the left side of Monarch Creek. It's grassy meadows all the way up, no scree. Here's a previous discussion:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... hp?t=12912
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for posting your report and all the great photos.
Here's another take on this trip: http://www.sierrahiker.com/FiveLakes/index.html
redpakotasea
Topix Novice

Post by redpakotasea »

jhfowler wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 am Wonderful TR, thanks! Next time you might try heading straight for Glacier Pass from 8157 on the left side of Monarch Creek. It's grassy meadows all the way up, no scree. Here's a previous discussion:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... hp?t=12912
Nice! I think I saw the turnoff and had no idea there was a shortcut.

Thanks for the info!