Thousand Island loop: which direction?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Thousand Island loop: which direction?

Post by mangomegan »

I do know the route is popular and may be crowded--but it's a bucket list trip!

Any input on whether to go clockwise (in on Shadow Creek) or counterclockwise (in on High Trail)?

We'd like to camp at Ediza, Garnet, and TI, and have four nights to spend on the trip.

We have two kids (ages 11 and 14) and prefer to not overtax them; they do have several trips under their belts, but we didn't make it out at all last year, and our daughter will be nursing a recovering ankle injury. So factoring in where to camp is important to us (ie: all the way in on the High Trail to TI in one day might be too far).

Places to camp if we do go in via the High Trail and want to stop for the night along the High Trail (or if we want to go out that way and stop partway)?
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thousand Island loop: which direction?

Post by stevet »

Assuming you are looping out of Agnew Meadow, my suggestion is counter-clockwise. The PCT High Trail "biggish" climb comes shortly after leaving Agnew Meadow. If you go clockwise along the River Trail, the "biggish" climb to Shadow Lake comes ~2.5mile into the day, or if you opt to wait until Garnet Lake you get a small climb at ~2.5mi and a "biggish" climb at ~6mi. My preference is to get climbs out of the way first thing, and even more so with kids.

If worried about Day 1 distance to Thousand Island, Badger Lakes offers decent camping and swimmable water. And a twist, if you are comfortable hiking use trails is to walk all the way to the west end of Thousand Island (camp there night 2 with fewer people) and cross to Garnet at Garnet Pass. Pick up the trail along the north short, camp where you want and rejoin the JMT for the route to Shadow, then Ediza. You can also continue on use paths all the way to Ediza, but the crossings from Garnet to Nydiver and then to Ediza are less traveled/rougher than the TI to Garnet crossing.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

The Shadow Creek Trail, as befits its name, is shadier. The High Trail can get very hot. For a more comfortable first day, I'd take the Shadow Lake route.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

megan,
OK, I'm going to vote with Steve. I love the high trail simply because you do get climbing out of the way early (when you're still fresh). And, in my experience, vegetation has grown up, so it's not as exposed as it once was. In spite of the shady bits, the views are stunning when they do open up. And I'm guessing even in this dry year, the number of springs that send refreshing water across the trail will still be substantial. That whole hillside has great flower blooms, and importantly for you guys, there are plenty of hospitable campsites along the way (a prominent one looks directly across the canyon at Shadow Lake, yes, that's too early, but it's there if you need it). Alternatively, when you reach the fork in the trail that leads to Badger Lakes vs Agnew Pass, you could head up to Summit Lake at the pass for elevated views. This still makes for a not-bad day 2 to TI. But, with kids, I'd not recommend trying the hop to Ediza via Nydiver. Stay on trail.....plenty of gorgeous terrain. My wife & I are heading up there in 10 days. Cannot wait! Cameron
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

We just returned from the loop a few days ago. Our route was the High Trail to 1000 Island. 1000 to Ediza. Ediza to the bottom of Shadow Creek/San Joauquin Bridge, to Agnew. On the High Trail, there were plenty of streams still flowing, wildflowers were absolutely stunning, and views to die for. I would recommend this route, with a stop off at either Badger or Summit Lake if the kids can't push on. The Tom Harrison map is not very accurate. According to it, the route is over 7 miles from Agnew to 1000. In actuality, it's over 9 miles, plus another 1/2 mile - mile to find a campsite at 1000. Although the main area of 1000 was packed with tents, we chose to walk a ways on the north shore, and ended up finding an awesome spot in the trees, and a short walk to the lake, with absolutely no neighbors.

The other reason I would choose this route is because if you take Shadow Creek to JMT north, you are dealing with a pretty long climb with absolutely no water until you go over the pass and Garnet Lake comes into view. Tank up on water at Shadow Creek because there isn't a hint of water. When we were going southbound from 1000 to Ediza, we passed dozens of people and many of them asked about water sources because it was hot and they didn't plan accordingly. We passed a boy scout troop and one little boy's pack was so large I had to ask him if he weighed it. He said it was over 40 pounds and I believed him. I offered him water but he declined.... To be young again....

Ediza is beautiful, but a zoo. We followed the use trail all the way around the lake, adding another mile once you see Ediza, and snagged a great campsite in the trees underneath RItterr. On our way out, and down the Shadow Creek Trail, we talked to so many people heading towards Ediza that it became a game to see how many people we could count going there before we got to the San Joaquin (Granted, we were hiking out on a Friday). We counted 36 people headed there, and on Saturday morning, during our quick hike out from the bridge to Agnew Meadows, we counted 18 more. Some were dayhikers, but others were starting the Shadow Creek climb very late in the day, and from the looks of their rented backpacks, blue jeans, etc, it was clear that they had no idea what was instore for them, and I highly doubt they made it to Ediza.

Unfortunately, there was no backcountry ranger presence during our trip.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

This is a great trip I just did again with my family a few weeks ago. I like the counter-clockwise loop, but taking the River Trail, not the High Trail.

We went before the Agnew road opened up, so few people. We met two rangers.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Ritter-miles1.jpg

Of course none of us know how fit and athletic your teens are. I would not take anyone off the street I didn't know more about, adults or teens, on mountain trails more than about 4 to 5 miles if a goal is for them to enjoy whatever in balance. Especially with a backpack going uphill. Of course a lot of new folks end up being dragged more than that. Given the mileage on the map, none of your named lake destinations are within that range. But who needs lakes when one has a view from across the High Trail!

Accordingly anyone hiking the High Trail interested in that good light ought be at Agnew Meadows at 6am sunrise to reach the 3 mile point looking across at Shadow L at 3 miles about 8am. Likewise at TI or Garnet L the best scenic light is 6am to 8am when the majority in the JMT trailside village are still in their tent or making coffee. From where you are tented, get up early before sunrise and coffee cup in hand, walk down to the at the outlet for the optimal experience, especially on calm clear mornings. Heck considering the effort and world class view, that is the genuine brag, not that one tented or passed through.

Aesthetic color saturated light on the magnificent Ritter Peaks is morning light between 6am PDT and about 10am PDT with 7:30am IMO best. After that light is increasingly harsh, especially during years through mid summer when the peaks still have areas of snow. (not this year of course) Afternoon back lit light on the peaks is far less interesting, though can make artsy small graphic images without much detail especially of the Minaret spires at dusk. The magenta dot along the High Trail on my map is at a reasonable 4.6 miles. About 20 feet below the trail along the shown small all year seep stream are small trees with a campsite with a panoramic view. From there TI outlet the next morning is only about 3 miles so if one leaves camp by 7am, one can reach TI in prime light. Note the prettiest part of the outlet zone when green and flowery is arguably the last few hundred yards of the trail along the stream.

After Garnet Ediza might be asking too much, not so much to go from GL but rather hiking out. Instead you could camp your 4th night along Shadow Cr below the Ediza junction and just day hike up to the lake. That would put your hike out mileage into the easier range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Thanks, everyone, much appreciated! This is exactly the kind of info I was seeking. I think we will plan to go in via the High Trail.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When I walked the high trail about a month ago (you may want to look at my trip report), a lot of the smaller side streams were already drying up. I suspect that the recent rains have increased the flow. As long as the monsoon weather continues, the water may be fine. Otherwise, some of those streams may dry up. I did not think the High Trail was difficult at all. The elevation gain is really gentle. There is plenty of good camping just north of Badger Lakes, if you cannot make it all the way to Thousand Island Lake. It is, of course, the PCT and very well maintained. Most of not all PCT hikers have already gone through, so it should not be very crowded.

I do not think walking out from Ediza Lake is very difficult. It is downhill, until the last 2 miles up hill from Olain Lake. Ediza is really pretty, but is also one of the most crowded spots. But there are tons of hidden campsites if you get away from the shoreline and up into the woods and along the creek from the small tarn below Mt Ritter.