Alta Trail near Panther Gap

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wahiker9
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Alta Trail near Panther Gap

Post by Wahiker9 »

Quick question: in my Sierra South backpacking book the author describes the exposure on the Alta Trail just past Panther Gap as troublesome for "acrophobes" and describes the section as narrow, sandy and mostly exposed. It's such a popular trail that I didn't imagine it as dangerous. Is this part of the trail really that scary?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Alta Trail near Panther Gap

Post by wildhiker »

I've done it three times and never thought it was scary. All I remember is that it had great views!
-Phil
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I agree with Phil. I’ve done it several times - including post injury that resulted in occasional balance issues - and I’ve never found this trail to be scary/dangerous. As Phil mentions, the views are great! 🙂
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

As a person who is always mindful of exposure, I've never thought twice about it and have hiked it many times! I agree with the others...it's a beautiful trail and the views of the Great Western Divide and beyond are phenomenal throughout!
Wahiker9
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Wahiker9 »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your responses are so helpful! This part of the trail is near the end of the trip and now I will not be stressing the whole time, but rather looking forward to the views!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

The trail itself is not scary but the less than an hour old Mountain Lion tracks I followed one morning after a rain were...and even more so when they left the trail going up the hill.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.