Best routes from JO Pass: class2 vs trails & praying for trout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
recked
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best routes from JO Pass: class2 vs trails & praying for trout

Post by recked »

Great trip but very dry, even named streams were completely dry. No water is flowing out of Twin Lakes (though there is a small flow above it on the way to Silliman Pass) and none flowing between the two twins.

Other hikers reported dry creeks from Seville to JO Pass and had to rely on pockets of trapwater. So we opted not to hike the loop and just take it easy, doing cross-country dayhikes, returning over Silliman the same way we came. Very warm swimming and nights too hot to stay in our bags, no complaints. Mosquitoes would swarm briefly at morning and evening but not a problem. Lost Lake was fun to find via xc as was Crescent Lake, the perfect day hike. The unnamed lake below Crescent was a great bonus, the spillway between made for a clear and flowery route, just spectacular. We saw three or four groups camped at Lost Lake while we had Ranger Lake all to ourselves. Worked for us! Thanks for all your thoughts and pointers, much appreciated.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I wonder if I saw you. Did you see / talk to a solo hiker with pink braids and a red/pink hat (like my profile photo)? I came down Crowley Canyon from Tablelands on Saturday, July 10, swam in Crescent, then camped on a ledge between the tarns north of Crescent. I hiked out from there on Sunday, July 11.

On the west side of Sillman, I found water where I expected it: the spring west of Sillman Pass above Twin Lakes, the spring north of the Cahoon Gap, and at Sillman Creek.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
recked
Topix Novice

Post by recked »

Oh is that right? Yeah my buddy spoke to you I think. We were jumping from the rocks into Crescent then I went to investigate the inlet creek. Sorry I missed a chance to say hi. From tablelands, you mean straight over xcountry? Looked like a rough route from what I could tell but I might be getting old.

Yeah water was not a problem coming in (and back out) via Twin Lakes, good flow betwen the lake and the pass. We changed plans once we heard from other hikers how scarce water would be between Seville and JO Pass.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

ha, funny! yeah I was jumping in the lake in my birthday suit because I didn't notice y'all until it was too late! :p Sorry (you're welcome?) for the free show.

I asked your buddy about the route y'all came in on and he said it was "arduous" but I guess I went a different way because I found it straightforward. I went down the grassy water drainage from Crescent, then between the two tarns (camped on a ledge between them), then down to Beville from the upper tarn basically straight north. And yeah I came down from the top of Crowley Canyon. I was in Box Canyon the day before.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love