Escaping the Heat, Best Conditions, forest vs elevation, South Sierra vs Central Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
billygoat
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Escaping the Heat, Best Conditions, forest vs elevation, South Sierra vs Central Sierra

Post by billygoat »

Alright everyone, thanks for helping me in my other post! I'm looking at two loops, one out of Piute Pass in the South Sierra around the Glacier Divide, and one out of Twin Lakes around northern Yosemite. The northern loop is lower elevation, closer to 9-10k at the passes, but looks more forested/shaded, and the southern loop is higher elevation but more exposed. I also recall the south Sierra getting less snow. I haven't been to the Sierra this year and don't have a beta on conditions, and I've actually never been to the Sawtooth/northern Yosemite area so I don't know what to expect even during a normal year. Between those two areas, which do you think will have more agreeable conditions in the next two weeks during this dry, hot summer?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Escaping the Heat, Best Conditions, forest vs elevation, South Sierra vs Central Sierra

Post by c9h13no3 »

Next two weeks? I'd worry about skeeters more than temps. Assuming you have permits for both.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Escaping the Heat, Best Conditions, forest vs elevation, South Sierra vs Central Sierra

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Both areas will be relatively dry compared to a normal year. Twin Lakes area will have more mosquitoes- more woodsy. It actually is supposed to cool off next week. Piute Pass into Humphreys Basin has more options, better fishing, and choice of either above timber camping or in timber. Personally I would do Piute Pass if I had the permit. But I have been to both. Obviously if you want a new area, pick the one you have not been to. Warmer conditions also means you can take less clothing. But if heat really bothers you, then go to the higher elevations.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Higher altitude usually gives temps 5 or more degrees cooler. This year, remarkably, it is so hot that it is hot even at high temps so I totally identify. I would go to Humphreys And begin my hikes early in the morning and make camp by mid after noon.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Love the Sierra wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:06 am This year, remarkably, it is so hot that it is hot even at high temps so I totally identify.
I am totally identifying here, as well. Live in Ridgecrest and escaped to the Sierra when we were hitting 118-119 a week, or so, ago. It was cooler for sure, but the amount of relief wasn't nearly what I was desiring, or used to!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

ExploreABitMore wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 am
Love the Sierra wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:06 am This year, remarkably, it is so hot that it is hot even at high temps so I totally identify.
I am totally identifying here, as well. Live in Ridgecrest and escaped to the Sierra when we were hitting 118-119 a week, or so, ago. It was cooler for sure, but the amount of relief wasn't nearly what I was desiring, or used to!
Good that you understood, I meant high altitudes, not high temps!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Given I can't backpack this year, the pool works out well. Simba swims at least twice a day. I do as well. It's fun to just blow the lungs, sit on the bottom and watch him swim over and around me.