Trail advice: Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
here4the_unicorns
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Trail advice: Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake

Post by here4the_unicorns »

I have permits to backpack in the Minaret Lakes area (08 Jul) and I'm looking for trail conditions / advice on my proposed route from Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake. Is the "trail" passable or is it under snow still?
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail advice: Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake

Post by maiathebee »

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205

I don't have a first-hand report, but I'd guess it's melted out. It's a long slog of talus around Cecile, and steep and loose coming down from Cecile to Iceberg, then more long slog of talus. So. Be ready for that.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is NOT a "trail" between Minaret Lakes and Ediza. There is a use-trail up to Cecile Lake that is somewhat hard to find in places, rock hopping around the lake (may be some cairns), and use trail down to Iceberg Lake that starts out poor, and gets more distinct as you go down. The use trail is quite steep, loose and eroded near the top. A few snow gullies usually hold snow year-round. Enough people use the route that snow sections (if still there) usually have footprints. The snow can be quite icy and hard until the sun hits later in the afternoon, about 9-10AM. There is a maintained trail down to Eidza.

I wrote a trip report of my early June trip this year. I suspect the snow has mostly melted by now. You may want to take a look at the report.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Our member c9h13no3 just posted a mosquito report from a recent trip to that area, send him a PM inquiring about the conditions.

PS I Sent him a PM. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

here4the_unicorns wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:55 pm I have permits to backpack in the Minaret Lakes area (08 Jul) and I'm looking for trail conditions / advice on my proposed route from Minaret Lake to Ediza Lake. Is the "trail" passable or is it under snow still?
Snow free. The “trail” is just eroded garbage, but it sounds like you knew that already. The talus is pretty stable, unlike the eroded dirt & scree, so I prefer that.

I apologize in advance for my ugly face. Pic was taken 5-July.

Edit - I cropped out my ugly mug. Picture is much nicer to look at now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
here4the_unicorns
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by here4the_unicorns »

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Sounds like if we stay high by the lakes we can catch a breeze to avoid the worst of the mosquitoes?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

here4the_unicorns wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:21 pm Awesome! Thanks for the update. Sounds like if we stay high by the lakes we can catch a breeze to avoid the worst of the mosquitoes?
I’ve always thought Iceberg and Nydiver were the better camping options in the area. Ediza is always a zoo. There are also some nice sites up towards Banner & Ritter too, but then you lose the big view.

Ediza can often be terrible for mosquitoes. The higher you go, the more likely you are to get some wind exposure.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.