Ever run into problems w/non-freestanding tent in High Sierra?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lisina10
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ever run into problems w/non-freestanding tent in High Sierra?

Post by Lisina10 »

I'm getting used to my new trekking-pole supported tent but I'm a little nervous about how it'll work in High Sierra areas where there's little soil to drive stakes into. Many of my trips take me up and out of forested areas. I'm familiar with the dead-man technique, but it seems like it would take a lot of big rocks to get a pitch that could withstand a tstorm or higher winds. For folks who have been using this kind of tent, am I worrying unnecessarily? Or should I stick with the heavier freestanding tent when I anticipate rockier conditions? If it makes a difference, I've got a 1p Xmid. Thanks!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ever run into problems w/non-freestanding tent in High Sierra?

Post by thegib »

I've used a non-free standing tent that requires 8 stakes for many years. And I camp almost exclusively at, or above, tree line. There's no problem finding spots to set up. Regulations require that you don't camp on vegetation - and this complicates matters somewhat. So be prepared to walk about for an extra four minutes to find the perfect spot.
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shtinkypuppie »

I try to camp exclusively above timber and only use non-freestanding tents. It just hasn't been a problem. Once or twice I have had to camp on completely bare granite, and in that situation you can kind of wedge some stakes into existing cracks and gaps, while the rest you have to dead-man. It helps a lot to have adjustable guy lines so you can exploit whatever natural anchor points may present themselves. 98% of the time, though, it's easy to find sandy spots.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

I use a trekking pole tent and I stopped carrying stakes years ago. I just wasn't using the stakes, instead using the "big rock,little rock" method almost exclusively. The stakes were just dead weight. Plus, rocks are always available in the Sierra Nevada. If the wind picks up, use more rocks. In the morning, I disperse the rocks to LNT.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Depends on the tent and location. I never had problems with my Moment (one pole, end-point stakes). I now use the Notch that uses trekking poles. Four stake points have to be bombproof. I had a horrible time this year in forested areas in Yosemite because stakes would not hold and there were NO rocks! I have also had trouble setting it up in high winds by myself. So mixed reviews. Another consideration- I miss my trekking poles for day-hiking. I think my next tent will be a free-standing tent. It just sets up faster, for me, perhaps not an issue for others.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I pack too heavy, so maybe this is not applicable to most of those reading this. However, I like to be like a boy scout always prepared. That said, I bring a variety of stakes so t I can pitch securely in all conditions. I don’t bring hundreds, but 2 or three of each kind and maybe 10 total. Part of that quiver is the MSR, fabric anchor stake and I us it all the time. It is just a big flap of nylon with cord attachments and it is great for holding the rocks in place or for burying in a dead man and weighs very little. I would not give up my freestanding tent since I try to plan a layover day for every trip and use my poles. My Sling Fin Crossbow is freestanding and also can se poles for extra strength in severe wind.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I will only use a free-standing tent because they make them light enough that I'm not willing to deal with one that isn't free-standing.