Bishop Pass_Dusy Basin Area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass_Dusy Basin Area

Post by maytag »

Hello,
First off, thanks to all of the community that makes up this great forum; I am truly grateful to all for sharing their experiences and expertise.
We are heading out on a 6 night BP out of South Lake (Bishop Pass/Dusy/LeConte/Muir Pass and a bit of Evolution then back to South Lake) and wanted to ask if anyone has any information on the current conditions (snow'ish on the passes? mosquitos?). I have combed the forums and read up on some past posts as well as checked the "conditions" forum but never hurts to throw out a question. Many thanks and best wishes for a safe and sane backpacking season to all.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass_Dusy Basin Area

Post by commonloon »

In short: don't worry about snow, be prepared for mosquitos. I was thru Dusy, LeConte and Muir pass last week while on the High Route last week... no snow to speak of, lots of mosquitos wherever alpine grass was or in meadows. Check the forecast also, as afternoon T-storms seemed to be ramping up.
johnz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by johnz »

We were out in Dusy Basin and LeConte Canyon a week ago. We encountered virtually no snow the entire way from South Lake TH to the LeConte ranger station. Mosquitoes were bad at Rainbow Lakes next to Dusy Basin. Along the MF Kings, mosquitoes were not too bad, and non-existent in some areas.
maytag
Topix Acquainted

Post by maytag »

Thank you both...
I have been keeping my eye on the weather - appreciate the heads up.
NOAA is usually my go to but if there is another favorite out there...always like a second/third opinion.
Head nets are usually one of the first things I throw in around this time of year - ugh.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

I concur with the other two assessments of the conditions in this area. i went over Bishop Pass and up and down LeConte Canyon June 12-14. Very small snowfield near the crest of Bishop Pass, which has to be even smaller now. Mosquitoes were an issue through Dusy Basin and at the bottom of LeConte Canyon. Had no issues with mosquitoes approaching Muir Pass.