Confusion or Valor

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Confusion or Valor

Post by tlsharb »

So I’m going up to Martha Lake and then over to Blackcap. Which pass would you take? I’ve come down Valor before from the west (not too bad), but never done Confusion. Probably going to camp at Pearl.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Confusion or Valor

Post by cgundersen »

Hi tlsharb,
I cannot offer the contrast, because I've only done Confusion (both directions) and it is a snooze (in my book). From the xc trails write-ups, it sounds like Valor is a bit more cantankerous. If you've not seen Confusion lake, it's an eerie experience. Each time I've been through there, it has seemed unusually still and lifeless. Yes, I know this is luck of the draw, but the lake itself is very clear and no sign of anything in it (duh!). This is not a vibe I've experienced anywhere else in the Sierra, Cameron
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

Since there seems to be a lack of people chiming in with experience of both - I chatted last summer with a older solo hiker and traded XC experiences. He went up Confusion and found it very straightforward, and seemed more an experienced Level 3 backpacker.

It shouldn't be an issue this year, but I feel Confusion is probably the better choice when there's snow - it's more open and seems to not mind detours as much. We were going to go over Valor, but the top looked pretty snowed in so just went over HFS pass then took Hutton Col bypass into bench basin and an old packer trail back and kept blackcap for a future trip.

I'd say maybe try Confusion for the variety, or eyeball them and pick whichever looks better. Valor is right at Martha which is nice.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

What's strange is I've met people that describe Valor like it is one step short of climbing K2. One gal told me it took her over 4 hours to ascend it. When my buddy and I tackled it a few years ago, we were down to Martha in less than half an hour. Not sure where she went? Thanks for the input guys. July 2th, here we come!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did Confusion Pass, but not as described in Secor guide. I would rate it as easy class 2. I was camped at Confusion Lake and poked around to find that if you traverse north before dropping down to Martha Lake drainage, you can stay on easy, but steep, grassy slopes. Probably too late for the person who posted, but here is my route.

Ionian_Confusion Pass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.