Long Lake Trip Report June 14-16-21

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Long Lake Trip Report June 14-16-21

Post by Solace-seeker »

I was recently at Long Lake on the Bishop pass trail. The mosquitoes were picking up but not terrible in my opinion.
The days were very nice. At night there were lots of strong winds all through the night.
I have never paid attention to the flowers in the Sierra Nevada until I read "The Last Season." It's an excellent book about a Park Ranger who was legendary for finding missing people in the wilderness.
I saw a beautiful flower that in the past would have gone unnoticed by me. It's name is "Shooting Star." What a appropriate name.
Hope everyone's backpacking adventure is wonderful.
Solace Seeker
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Long Lake Trip Report June 14-16-21

Post by Jimr »

"The Last Season" is well known to many in this forum. "Sierra South (circa 1980) peaked my interest in flowers along the way. Thomas Winnett has a "flowery" way of describing the trail along the way that always included flowers, so I learned the common names first, then got curious to append the name to the actual flower(s) as I saw them.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.