TR: Lake Basins of the Kings, At Long Last  5/27 - 6/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lake Basins of the Kings, At Long Last  5/27 - 6/3

Post by michaelzim »

@Harlen / Ian
As always a fantastic TR and adventure. Gorgeous photos are so easy on the vicarious eye whilst not having to keep up with what would be a torrid pace for me! Oh, and a peak with lovely cliff to fall off of too. Ha, ha. Would have been an "Icarian event" of spectacular dimensions to tag this one.
As it happens I was probably looking SE in your direction as you were looking NW trying to find Goddard, which was right in front of me c/o my perch on pass 11,720. It's all such impressive country!
Thanks for a wonderful report, and eagerly awaiting the next.
M.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Great trip report! Your photos are beautiful. It is nice to go to the less visited areas of the Sierra.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

Thank you for shariing your trip report. The area is so beautiful. Great photography!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Lake Basins of the Kings, At Long Last  5/27 - 6/3

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,
So, it appears we were out wandering the granite byways at the same time. Joy & I were following in your Bear Lakes basin footsteps from a couple years ago; even though we were up there relatively early, there was less snow than in the year you went. But, my oh my, how sweet it was. In spite of the fact that most permits for Pine Creek had been booked in the lead up to Memorial Day, traffic in the backcountry was negligible and the number of vehicles at the trailhead went from 5 on the way in to 9 on the way out (at least 3 were day hikers). So, methinks plenty of folk are signing up and then bailing on their plans. It does engender tranquility! Anyway, I need to mull over whether I'm hale enough to consider tagging along on a Blue Canyon adventure with you............I might be the proverbial 5th wheel. Oh, and fantastic report! Cheers, Cameron