Beginner Cross-Country trip in Sequoia?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Beginner Cross-Country trip in Sequoia?

Post by creekfeet »

CentralCalHiker wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:37 pm I managed to have some extra time on a trip to Pear Lake over the last 2 days. I headed north from Pear along that ridge, and explored a snowy lake/meadow area up the Marble Fork Canyon. That was a blast! I'll have to get back up there and go farther up next time...
Great call! That's the most fun part of the Tablelands to explore. It's definitely worth following the Marble Fork all the way up to either of its feeder lakes if you get the chance.

Additionally, another good beginning cross-country trip out of Lodgepole is to head to Silliman Lake. Most of the route is on a pretty well-defined use trail, and for the final stretch without a trail, you just follow Silliman Creek. The lake is one of the best, and there are numerous options to extend your trip from there should you wish.

For a longer trip, you could do the "Lollipop Loop", taking the Twin Lakes Trail over the Silliman Crest, and looping around to Ranger, Lost, and Seville Lakes. There's some fun, small x-country excursions you can make from that loop, including trips to Crescent Lake, Sheep Camp Lakes, and Ball Dome. There's also x-country options for short-cutting the trail between lakes on the loop if you desire.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

creekfeet wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 pm
CentralCalHiker wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:37 pm I managed to have some extra time on a trip to Pear Lake over the last 2 days. I headed north from Pear along that ridge, and explored a snowy lake/meadow area up the Marble Fork Canyon. That was a blast! I'll have to get back up there and go farther up next time...
Great call! That's the most fun part of the Tablelands to explore. It's definitely worth following the Marble Fork all the way up to either of its feeder lakes if you get the chance.

Additionally, another good beginning cross-country trip out of Lodgepole is to head to Silliman Lake. Most of the route is on a pretty well-defined use trail, and for the final stretch without a trail, you just follow Silliman Creek. The lake is one of the best, and there are numerous options to extend your trip from there should you wish.

For a longer trip, you could do the "Lollipop Loop", taking the Twin Lakes Trail over the Silliman Crest, and looping around to Ranger, Lost, and Seville Lakes. There's some fun, small x-country excursions you can make from that loop, including trips to Crescent Lake, Sheep Camp Lakes, and Ball Dome. There's also x-country options for short-cutting the trail between lakes on the loop if you desire.
What side of ball dome would be best? That trip is sounding perfect for this upcoming weekend.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Just got back from a trip very similar to the one creekfeet described. I spent the night at Ranger Lake, and from there I traveled to Lost Lake. I began my route from there, traveling to lake 9362 above Lost Lake, and around Ball dome before dropping back down to the trail to head back home.