Help with Backpacking Tents

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with Backpacking Tents

Post by The Other Tom »

A lot of PCT hikers use a Z-pack duplex. Expensive but very lightweight and seems to work well. Personally, I use a tarp-tent rainbow which weighs just a little more than Z-pack but also costs less. BA copper spur also seems to be a good one.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

There are no extra light weight tents minus sealing fixes, that after modest use are still waterproof, leak proof, and able to withstand strong winds. In fact most are never good in wind so protective siting is mandatory. It is why expedition tents weigh far more by using heavier, more by robust fabrics. The game is to be very careful using any lightweight tents while expecting their pristine state has a limited lifetime.

Many have always claimed their lightweight tents are waterproof in rain but I don't believe it. In hail pounding thunderstorm monsoon weather, tent tub pin holes and seam holes have a way of showing reality.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

"There are no extra light weight tents minus sealing fixes, that after modest use are still waterproof, leak proof, and able to withstand strong winds."
My Tarptent Stratospires are quite good in wind. The DCF version does not require seam sealing. And I've stayed dry in some monstrous thundering downpours.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

DCF material was designed for sailboats - for a few thousand trail miles, it works just fine and is very waterproof, very windproof, and super light.
shanks59
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shanks59 »

If you want something cheap to tide you over, river country products makes a $50 3lb trekking pole tent that is pretty light and well made. Little bit of condensation issues but has a hybrid bug net inner that cuts down on most of it. Trekker 2.2.

https://www.rivercountryproducts.com/pr ... -tent-2-2/