Suggestion Sierra Nevada half May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestion Sierra Nevada half May

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you have time to go over New Army Pass you can go up to Miter Basin as far as the meadow (great view) a bit more than a mile north of Soldier Lake. There is likely snow at Sky Blue Lake. A day hike to Primrose Lake, or Erin Lake, or Sky Blue Lake. There is also lots to explore in Cottonwood Lakes. High Lake is pretty stark. I would not camp there.
56_SkyB_EsideNewArmy.JPG
This is an August 2019 (high snow year) view from the meadow (same elevation as High Lake, but out in the open so less likely to have snow).
688-89_Miter Basin Meadow_edited-2.jpg
Even if you do not go over Army Pass, a day hike up to Lakes 4 and 5 is really nice. The main trail is NE of Lake 4. The trail along the shore of Lake 4 is very nice, but not used much and overgrown. Camping at Lake 5 is scenic, but very exposed and lumpy, windy. At the south end of Lake 4 is a really nice campsite in timber. I camped near the outlet of Long Lake- cannot see as much if you camp near the inlet (which can also be very buggy).

620-21_Lake#5_edited-1.jpg
637_LongLk_crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J0han
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by J0han »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 pm All you are held to on your permit is your in and out trailheads and first night's campsite. To expediate getting a permit, just estimate other nights. Then you can revise it later or just leave it be and figure it all out before you leave on your trip, or just play it by ear when you get there. I have some suggestions but too late tonight to describe them- will do in a few days.
That's great news, just like Yosemite, love that sort of freedom.. in contrary to Rocky Mountains for example. I booked 4 nights from May 18 to 22 but might need to postpone one week if onboarding delays.
And beautiful pictures, that give a much better impression! Also for camping. And Miter basin seems to be a very nice destination but I do wonder if it is going to be one big snowfield up there after new army pass. :) Maybe I can just see how it goes, and who knows where I will end up. Very much looking forward to it in any case, although 24 hour driving will be required first. ;)
J0han
Topix Novice

Post by J0han »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm
J0han wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:23 pm To get from "lake 4" to "high lake" I would need to take a trail up called "old army pass trail". I'm not sure the latter trail shows up on every map though and even less sure it's going to be accessible in May. Anyone have a clue? I do intend to bring spikes.
Yeah, the Old Army Pass trail is dangerous early season. Don't go that way, it will be faster to walk around via Lakes 3, 2, Long to get to High Lake than to fight lingering snow over the Old Army Pass trail.
Good to know, once went over a snow covered Glenn Pass without spikes and if this will be bad even with spikes then probably better skip. :rolleyes:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You may have some spotty snow on the north side of New Army pass. We did it 6/14 trip 2006 which was a high snow year. I suspect this May will be similar to June of 2006. Rock Creek Valley up to the Miter Basin meadow was all snow free. It is best to drop down to Rock Creek after climbing up over the ridge at Soldier Lake and cross there; stay on the north side of Rock Creek going up because it gets enough sun to melt off earlier than the other side so is dry instead of a swamp. There were some snow streaks going up the north side of the creek to Sky Blue Lake, which was partially iced over. We camped quite a ways above the lake on flat sand and rocks that were dry.

14_SkyB_LakePk3879.JPG
48_SkyB_DaveEllenRockCR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:58 pm ... It is best to drop down to Rock Creek after climbing up over the ridge at Soldier Lake ...
If you head to the northwest corner of Soldier Lake, you should be able to find a use trail that heads pretty easily up the slope. Doing this hike a couple years ago, I got nervous looking straight north up the slope (and went the long way around instead) but returned using Daisy’s “shortcut” and had no problem at all.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

That use trail is no big deal. It is a little steep, but it is short distance. Once you get over the ridge, you have to look around to find a good way down to the creek.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

Very little navigation is required to get over New Army Pass but keep in mind that there is a 400' error on the USGS topo map. The 12,200' contour is marked 11,800'.

Edit-the same is true if you use the Scanned Topo option in CalTopo.
Last edited by jmherrell on Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Actually, I was out there April 23ish, the day before that last storm came in. The wind was furious and I, personally, hate wind. So I did not go up old army myself. However, I met a gal on the trail who told me she day hiked up and down the pass and she had been in trail runners. She did not go over the pass.
It is so pretty out there, and there are so many choices that I would try to go up the route you want. If it is beyond your skill level, turn back and go up to Long Lake. It is also very lovely. Then you can try to get up New Army. The best part about backpacking is that you do not HAVE to go anywhere and you can change your mind at any time.
Also, Cottonwood has so many landmarks around, it is really easy to navigate cross country, even if you only know the basics of xc navigation. Also, Muir Lake is quite pretty and waiting for exploration too.
J0han
Topix Novice

Post by J0han »

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the comments. My boarding was delayed so I had to delay the trip and now I'm looking at next week. Especially since we are a few weeks further I would actually love to walk into Sequoia National Park through army pass and I will let you know about the current condition, but will I not need another (second) backcountry reservation for that (in addition to the one from Inyo National Forest)?
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

No, you don't need a SeKi permit to hike into SeKi from Inyo. You just need your starting trailhead permit.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love