Duck Pass 5/14-15

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Duck Pass 5/14-15

Post by kirstinrode »

I was told by another user to put this here and not just in backpacking section...
Trip Report Duck Pass...Attempted 5/14 with wilderness permits. Had to park at Tamarack Lodge because of the road not being open past that point yet. We decided to camp at Skeleton Lake and day hiked up to Barney. Big 25 wind gusts but temps only dropped to 40ish that night. DP Trail hard to find even w maps/navigation because of snow and Ive hiked it before in August 2020. We only spent one night up there because of a severe weather alert on 5/15 for thunderstorms. They got a dusting the night of 5/15. Snow is melting but still quite a bit on the trail from a cold Spring. Lots of varied conditions up to Barney, 3 ft of postholing, mud, snow melt, clear trail... With current conditions this is doable at least to Barney with gaiters, poles/snow baskets and micro spikes, IMO. Saw some folks skinning/traversing across from Barney. Still a beautiful hike!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Duck Pass 5/14-15

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Great info! Thank you for posting as it's nice to get an idea of how the lakes are looking. Beautiful photos too!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I meant that you should update the current conditions thread, not make a new post. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 34&t=21345
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love