Shepherd Pass -> Tulainyo Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lukecreswell
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Shepherd Pass -> Tulainyo Lake

Post by lukecreswell »

I have always wanted to go to Tulainyo lake, and this summer I am finally doing it. I am planning on 4 nights in early July: 1)Anvil Camp 2)Upper Wright Lakes 3)Tulainyo Lake 4) ?? Somewhere near Diamond Mesa.

Cal Topo of Route: https://caltopo.com/m/6HV5

Any suggestions or feedback on this plan? I've hiked the JMT and have x-country experience but have not made it to any of these lakes east of the trail.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Shepherd Pass -> Tulainyo Lake

Post by TurboHike »

Looks like a fun trip. I went over Shepherd Pass two years ago on my way to the Upper Kern. Here's what I remember:

Anvil Camp can be buggy. Maybe this year, being a lower snow year, will be better, but it was bad when I was there. We pushed up to the Pothole, which was much better.

The Tyndall Plateau can be very windy. It's a huge area and there is really nothing to break the wind. This might impact your campsite choice that is near the Diamond Mesa.

The lake at the very top of Shepherd Pass seemed crowded with tents from climbers who were attempting Mount Tyndall. It was not as peaceful as the other lakes in the area.

It looks to me like you're planning to camp at Tulainyo Lake at 12,800 feet. That's bold, yet cool, but it's probably worth having a back up plan if the wind is up.

I suggest getting an early start at the Shepherd Pass trailhead. The trail goes about a mile along Symmes Creek, then 55 switchbacks right out of the gate. I remember only one water source between Symmes and Anvil, so plan accordingly.
Last edited by TurboHike on Thu May 13, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukecreswell
Topix Newbie

Post by lukecreswell »

Thanks TurboHike! Very helpful
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Tulainyo is depressed into the landscape which I imagine makes camping near the water tricky. (I haven't tried.) If the goal is camping there, so be it. But, camping at the outlet of Wales lake is so scenic and flat and nice that I'd suggest you aim for that. I've made it there from Anvil in a day and I'm no runner.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Hi Luke, you emailed me about my trip back in December. The trip on my website: https://sites.google.com/site/mytrailmi ... -milestone and here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20902

I second Turbohike's recommendations: When I passed Pothole, I wished I had camped there instead. It is more open and has better views. The lake at the top of Shepherd Pass does get crowded but when I was there, emptied out in the evening as the climbers left. If it isn't windy, your plan to camp near Diamond Mesa looks good, though I haven't been there.

If you find Tulainyo too rocky or sloped to set up camp, the grassy area you cross on the way to Tulainyo might be suitable if you want to stay up high. There was a small creek running through when I was there. Otherwise, you can go back down to excellent sites at Wales.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I found Tulainyo to be cool in a sort of bucket-list way (highest big lake in the U.S. - check), but it was rather stark for camping or hanging out, and was by far not the highlight. The highlights of your trip are Wales & Wallace Lakes. And if you are into photography, the reflection & alpenglow photos at Wales are...Wow.

Maybe consider something like...
1) to Anvil or Pothole
2) to Wales. Excellent camping near outlet. Also check out Wallace.
3) Relaxing day to wander up to Tulainyo and back. Maybe pack up & move camp to Wrights Lake Basin
4) Out
aquiros
Topix Newbie

Post by aquiros »

I did some parts of this trip a few years ago. I second everyone else, Tulainyo may be hard to camp at (it was windy and rocky), the outlet creek leading up to it are flat and beautiful, as are Wales and Wallace. We found a nice spot to camp less than 1/2 mile north west of Pothole, it was flat, had a nice creek nearby and was protected from the wind by some nice trees.

Alternatively, if you make good time and want to climb up and over Russell-Carillon Pass, just south of Lake Tulainyo, it is a fun climb up and over to Upper Boy Scout Lake. This was one of my favorite passes in the area. You would need the permit for the Whitney area though, which may be a challenge and my memory is that there are more regulations south of the pass because of this, but it is worth it! Have fun!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That is a lot of miles to cover and still have time to do the fishing you propose. You need to be an expert off-trail hiker to pull that off.

I prefer to camp where I fish; I'd rather catch the fish and have them go directly into the frying pan! Why not camp at Wallace Lake outlet and simply day-hike to both Wales and Tulainyo the same day? That would give you 2 nights at Wallace with two fish dinners! When I day-hiked to Tulainyo Lake it was full of horrible swarming gnats. Climbed the small peak (Tulainyo Pk?) and that has a nice view down into George Creek. I would skip the Diamond Mesa stuff (or do it on the way out if there is time) and prioritize Wrights Basin and Wallace. I finally caught some good fish at Upper Wrights Lake two years ago on third trip there. The peninsula has some good camping and fishing, but is in the shadows both AM and PM. But if I went again I would camp there. Also caught fish in the small lakes just down from Rockwell Pass.