Time for new glasses

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Time for new glasses

Post by balzaccom »

It was time, after the COVID slowdown and everything.  The prescription wasn't hugely different from the previous one...but enough that the new glasses do make a difference.  

Oh--and the frames are titanium, because...you know. Titanium.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Time for new glasses

Post by bobby49 »

I wear nothing frames, and that is lighter than titanium.

I've worn eyeglasses for fifty years, and at my last driver license vision test, I passed it without any glasses at all. Go figure.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Having my cataracts "fixed" was the best thing I've ever done. Wish I had it done earlier. I chose a distance correction, so now I'm 20/20, but I still need reading glasses. I could have gone one eye distance and one eye close, but I didn't think I would like that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

After breaking a very expensive bifocals (fell on my face and broke the frame and popped one lens out, never to be found) and having another drop out of my pocket into a boulder field, I have given up on bifocals. I now get one pair of regular reading glasses and another for computer length focus. When I get new glasses, I take the old pair that work the best for what little reading of maps I do. No big loss if I wreck them. I carry them in a bubble wrap mailer cut to fit the glasses. Very light.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I started getting presbyopia (inability to focus close up) in my mid-forties and it has gotten progressively worse. For reading maps in the backcountry, I just take a cheap plastic magnifier. Fortunately, my distance vision is still good and that is what matters to me while backpacking!
-Phil
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I swear by progressives now. I use my regular pair as backups and I always have the ones I'm wearing in the cars and a backup pair in the glovebox.
I've stepped on glasses in the backcountry and had to re-learn how to walk with the backup pair. I was missing the ground by about 4" just to get back to camp.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

wildhiker wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm I started getting presbyopia (inability to focus close up) in my mid-forties and it has gotten progressively worse. For reading maps in the backcountry, I just take a cheap plastic magnifier. Fortunately, my distance vision is still good and that is what matters to me while backpacking!
-Phil
Same here. When I got my driver's license renewed this year, they put on it that I wore corrective lenses. I took the eye test without glasses, because for one thing I can't see at a distance with my reading glasses on, but I guess the lady saw me using them to surf the web on my phone while waiting. They refuse to change it. Love the CA DMV.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 pm
Same here. When I got my driver's license renewed this year, they put on it that I wore corrective lenses. I took the eye test without glasses, because for one thing I can't see at a distance with my reading glasses on, but I guess the lady saw me using them to surf the web on my phone while waiting. They refuse to change it. Love the CA DMV.
[/quote]

But without your glasses, how do you read your speedometer?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

balzaccom wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:19 am
Lumbergh21 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 pm
But without your glasses, how do you read your speedometer?
My speedometer is a little bit bigger than 11 pt font and over an arms length from my eyes.