Ten Lakes Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BandedGlossoma
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ten Lakes Trail

Post by BandedGlossoma »

Does anyone know if there is any camping available on the first couple miles of the Ten Lakes trail towards Ten Lakes?

I've been invited on a trip this May and it will be a late start. I don't want to hike nor set up in the dark
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Ten Lakes Trail

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are places to camp along the trail, when it is close enough to Yosemite Creek or other water sources and not snow covered. When it becomes legal is the real question. Check you permit or call the wilderness office. There is a creek at the Lukens Lake trail junction. I came out from Ten Lakes early June 2012, just after Tioga Road opened. Half Moon meadow would work (it had plenty of dry grassy areas). The last part of the trail getting to Ten Lakes is steep and Ten Lakes Pass can be snow covered-I agree, not a good thing to do in the dark.

You could also car camp on Ackerson Creek (about 3 miles on Evergreen Road, turn left on a dirt road, shortly there is a dispersed campsite). If you could sleep in your car, you can just park on the shoulder of Evergreen Road. Then go all the way to Ten Lakes the next day. It is only about a half day hike anyway.
3239_HalfMoonMeadow_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

My Nat Geo Map shows the areas where camping is prohibited in the backcountry, and this area is not listed. So your only guideline is that you much be at last one "air mile" from any road: "You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited along the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River." That's from the official Yosemite website. Seems a bit like a loophole to me, in that you could then camp only one mile down Porcupine Creek, or Yosemite Creek, and meet those guidelines. hmmm.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just found a different reference on this...a map from the Yosemite Conservancy (the agency that manage permit fees these days) that shows exactly where you can camp. Note that it marks a point about TWO miles from the trailhead before you can camp on the trail to Ten Lakes Basin:

https://caltopo.com/m/SMRD
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for finding that map!
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Half Moon Meadow has a seasonal stream meandering thru it. In late May it would be a great place to camp.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Half Moon Meadow is great if you like mosquitos.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

If you are just quickly camping there and leave early AM, I do not think mosquitoes would cause too many problems. Also, supposed to be a moderate breeze all week. Ten Lakes is more likely to have mosquitoes because it sits in a bowl with lots of standing water.
BandedGlossoma
Topix Novice

Post by BandedGlossoma »

I guess a more pointed question would be, are there any established camp sites where the trail forks (just past the 2 mile mark)? Half Moon would be my second choice.
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

BandedGlossoma wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:42 am I guess a more pointed question would be, are there any established camp sites where the trail forks (just past the 2 mile mark)? Half Moon would be my second choice.
Yes. Just north of the junction with the trail back to the middle Tuolumne there is a short spur to flat spot (just after you step over the creek). It is a small site. If memory serves, not fully level, but established.