Old Bones Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Old Bones Pass

Post by thegib »

Hi all,

I read that Maverick et al used Old Bones (near Electra Peak) back in 2016 and the HS Map rates it class 2. Any further description? Sloppy, tedious, irritating, or straight-forward, mellow, etc? Hoping to spend a week in the vicinity in August.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Old Bones Pass

Post by giantbrookie »

I'm not sure exactly where that pass is but I know that one can easily cross the ridge by going directly over the top of Electra Peak which is a fun and beautiful hike. I did this in 1994 as part of one of the best dayhike loops I've ever done (Blue Lakes to Foerster Pk, then descend to Lyell Fork via saddle N of Foerster then come back to San Joaquin side by going over the top of Electra); may rank as my all time favorite dayhike, in fact. The very top of Electra from the Lyell Fork side has a smidge of class 3 (pretty mellow, even though it's metamorphic stuff) and the San Joaquin side is easy (class 1-2). The Lyell Fork side was a bit difficult for me only because I was climbing one-handed as a result of breaking two fingers on my left hand the day before (oddly enough from taking a fall along the super gentle shoreline of Big Harriet Lake).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Thanks GB, I'll consider going over Electra's top, I think Old Bones takes us within a couple hundred feet anyway.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Correction: OB pass doesn't go near the top of Electra, it's to the SW of Electra. Maybe going over the top of Electra makes the most sense.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

thegib wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:55 am Correction: OB pass doesn't go near the top of Electra, it's to the SW of Electra. Maybe going over the top of Electra makes the most sense.
Eric, Sean, and Toshi did a silly long traverse of the ridges in southern Yosemite. It's a good resource for that area.

Just looking at the slope angle shading, I wouldn't want to go too far south on the SW ridge of Electra. Screw the named pass, just follow the topo.

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

C9-Thanks for the link! I have not kept up on what is happening in the climbing world lately and all I can say is "wow"! That "traverse" was absolutely amazing given the weather, heavy packs, and high snow year. And great photos too.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Wow, that map is very useful. I look forward to reading the link. Thanks C9...