Rae Lakes or Florence to Evolution Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes or Florence to Evolution Valley

Post by SSSdave »

Actually the San Joaquin River trail in June is good any year though the reservoir ferry may not be operating. The Rae Lakes loop along Bubb's Creek is long and as modestly boring along its hanging valley until Junction Meadow as is the lower SF of the SJ. But snowy Glen Pass and the Woods Creek trail crossings make that an iffy route whereas the SF of the SJ has no issues. IMO the river areas in Goddard Canyon are considerably more interesting than what I consider over-hyped by old time camp bonfire loving horse packer's Evolution Valley where outside of the buggy meadows, one mostly tends to be down in a forest without views. Also far fewer backpackers and much better river fishing up GC. For backpacker's of recent decades, areas above EV with alpine lakes and gnarly peaks is where most of us want to go though may be frozen till July. Note I've been in EV 3 times.

During June 2019, a big snow year, I did a 6 day backpack out of Florence Lake reservoir:

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2019_Trip_ ... 019-5.html

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.2148 ... 4&z=15&b=t

June is the best time to do the elevation areas below Evolution Valley that are relatively low elevations between 7.4k and 8.4k as they green up and flower during June but then are dry brown by mid July. It is 8 miles to the Piute Creek junction then another 3+ to the Evolution Creek junction at the bottom of its hanging valley that was as far as I went. Until one reaches Piute Creek at the national park boundary, scenery is modest if not boring, down at a U shape canyon's forest bottom with occasional views up on its modest walls.

Scenery improves dramatically once in the park as the gnarly granite canyon narrows and there is much more water cascading down cliffs. There are good places to camp along the river just inside the park boundary. Don't worry about the 100+ foot from water policy along such a large river flow with enormous dissipation as those established sites have been there for decades. More good places to camp are in Aspen Valley on a rib where the trail crosses the 8320 topo line.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.2082 ... 8&z=15&b=t
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The creek crossing in Evolution Valley is not trivial in high water- similar to the missing bridge on Rae Lakes Loop. And there is the Muir Ranch Zoo; poop behind every bush. But agree that early season is a good time to go up to Evolution Valley for its lush greenery. If the ferry does not run the trail around the lake has a surprising elevation gain (3.6 miles, 590 feet gain). Adds a lot if you only have 4 days. In my opinion, you really need a week to do the Evolution trip so you can see the higher country too.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

you asked for comparisons based on "difficulty" and "beauty". I think SSSdave's post and trip report illustrate that in either case, beauty is there--if you're looking.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Enigmagic »

The Paradise Valley bridge will probably still be out this year. Last year (low snow year) it was apparently crossable in mid-June. We crossed it in early July and it was much easier to wade than to use the log jam. From what I recall the log jam has been there since at least 2017.
6/15/2020 - The Kings River crossing at Upper Paradise is passable. There is a shallow section just down stream from the old bridge. There is also large logjam less than 1/4 mile downstream from the old bridge. Hikers should use caution if attempting to cross on the logjam as they can shift without warning.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

What is referred to as the "old bridge" is to me the "new bridge" ! It was not there in 2003 and I thought it was built after that. I guess it is all a matter of definition of "old". Log jams come and go with each year's melt. One long jam or another will likely be there, even if moved downstream a bit. If there is any way to safely wade across, it is less risky than walking logs.

I would think with the number of people doing the loop, there will be more than yourself once at the crossing. Groups can safely wade deeper and swifter water than individuals by linking arms. At least you would have some backup. If in doubt, camp and cross the next AM when flow is less.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

The "new bridge" was built in 2006. They were building it when I crossed on the immense log jam that had first begun forming in 1998 when I first crossed it as a single large tree that gradually became a larger and larger pile as the debris piled up.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Ummmmmm.....sorry to rain (or buzz) on the parade, but I see no mention of mosquitoes so far. Is that just on the presumption that one would use tons of DEET in June and July?
I ask too, as have been considering one of these legs = Evolution Valley (and McGee Lakes) as an early June trip before bugs get bad due to likely easier access (from Florence) than more demanding off trail stuff in the higher boonies - depending on snow conditions of course. I have never been on the JMT for more than quick necessity transits so also figured it might be an experience in its own right. All depends when the big "hatch" happens. And funnily enough, have plans to transit Rae Lakes too (also first time) in early August c/o Gould Pass.

Thus does anyone have a generalized guesstimate "Mosquito Meter" for Evolution and Rae Lakes???

Thanks ~ Zimichael
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Evolution Valley is notorious for mosquitoes, another reason for Rae Lakes loop. Definitely mosquitoes by early July, but depends on the melt- they generally hatch about 2 weeks after the snow melt. I think you simply have to put up with them. Depends also on night temperatures- if you are high enough altitude for freezing at night, less bugs. You can mitigate the problem somewhat. For a short trip like Rae Lakes Loop, packs are not that heavy, so I would just have a bug enclosure that you can cook/eat inside. Even when bad, if you cover your skin, bugs are seldom a problem when walking. Also, early rising when it is cool and shady often will let you eat breakfast before the bugs wake up. Also, camp at the windiest site you can find. And of course, DEET.