TR:2006 Ionian-Tunemah-Blackcap

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR:2006 Ionian-Tunemah-Backcap

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:12 pm ...years ago from LeConte canyon, I ascended Ladder Creek, then traversed north to intersect the PCT at the lake at 10,400. (map below) Ladder Lake is worth the effort. The traverse has tons of talus, so it is a bit slow. With careful route-finding you can get up Ladder Creek with only a bit of bushwhacking. The best camping is at the west end.
WD, how did you cross the Middle Fork to access the creek that you followed from the JMT/PCT up to Ladder Lake? Is the MFKR not a roiling obstacle?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR:2006 Ionian-Tunemah-Blackcap

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It was a late-season crossing; cannot remember exact year but the ranger station was already closed down for the season. Although a significant wade, not that bad; I used trekking poles. I cannot tell you the exact spot we crossed, but we did have to look carefully for a safe place and bash through some brush to get to the creek. There's also a lot of brush up to Ladder Lake, so you have to do a lot of zig-zag route finding.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

I love it when especially great trip reports like this one get bumped back to the top. I skimmed through it, loving the photos and reliving trips that went to some of the places you visited and seeing other places that I'll never visit. Then I scrolled down through the comments and saw that I had already viewed it when you reposted it last year.
Who says the forgetfulness of old age is always a bad thing.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

sekihiker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 pm Who says the forgetfulness of old age is always a bad thing.
I used to know who said that, but now I forget.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

sekihiker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 pm Then I scrolled down through the comments and saw that I had already viewed it when you reposted it last year.
Who says the forgetfulness of old age is always a bad thing.
I recently read part of an older scientific article that I thought looked pretty good - then I looked at the author list and saw my name.