Big Pine Creek Campground

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Big Pine Creek Campground

Post by gardn128 »

All:

Trying to stay at this campground via a first come first serve site by arriving on a Thursday afternoon. Just wondering:

1) what the odds are something will be available in August at that time of week?

2) if one is available, can you stay for 3-4 nights?

Thanks!!!
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Big Pine Creek Campground

Post by austex »

Arriving Thursday with the kids starting back to "learning" chances are good. I was there for one night last Tuesday and there were 2 open spots and I only needed one night. That said it was to be occupied the next night. This cg was more crowded than the the other two in the cyn. I cruised the other two after I unpacked and there were surprisingly multiple open spots I don't know how long any of them where available (3-4 nights) If it is one of the Rec.gov's true fcfs sites you can stay up to the 14 day limit at that point. I was in an "open one night" situation between reservations. That said next time I would opt to one of the other cg's as BPC cg was full of kids on bikes along with a motorhome with flashing lights up a 20' flagpole. Not as quiet as my 3 nights in Rock Creek Canyon. A side note that this is the first time I've ever made a reservation b/c of the perceived lack of spaces available on Rec.gov. 3 weeks out of my stay. The site next to me in East Fork was reserved and vacant all 3 nights I was there. I'm sure that was not the only case in the cg... I'm sure the hosts don't want to play referee if the person shows up a day late and it's been occupied by a 2nd party. I don't think it's too clear on the rules. It's a paid night(s); no "facility" or water usage or cleanup for the hosts if necessary after... :whistle: Maybe an email to RRM to ask that policy w/b beneficial in the future.