Reserved and Walk Up Wilderness Permit Process 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Reserved and Walk Up Wilderness Permit Process 2020

Post by John Harper »

Has anyone gotten through to the Inyo NF office for their reserved permits yet? We've called several times and the phone just rings and rings. Tried the number posted on INF website and another number I have. Nothing. My permit is not until July 1, but a couple of us want to see about getting walkup permits too. I know you should call 14 days or less before July 1 for my reservation.

I see they are releasing the walk up slots onto recreation.gov up to the 18th now. I was just curious if the office was open and processing reserved permits to email, but no one has answered at all.

John
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Reserved and Walk Up Wilderness Permit Process 2020

Post by kylekuzma »

For Inyo NF you can reserve via Reacreation.gov if im not mistaken. See here: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/2332 ... 2020-06-04
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

kylekuzma wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:44 pm For Inyo NF you can reserve via Reacreation.gov if im not mistaken. See here: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/2332 ... 2020-06-04
I already have a reservation. You can't go to the office in Lone Pine and pick up your permit this year.

Supposedly you have to call the INF office so they can email you the permit to print out at home. Myself and others have tried to call the INF office to no avail the last few days.

John
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I have my permit for next Thursday Onion Valley. I called last Friday and they answered right away. 760-873-2483. I had to call back to get some special instructions for Rae Lakes and that number was 760-873-2586.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

jhfowler wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 am I have my permit for next Thursday Onion Valley. I called last Friday and they answered right away. 760-873-2483. I had to call back to get some special instructions for Rae Lakes and that number was 760-873-2586.
What time/day of the week did you call? It's possible they get busy sometimes?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

INF website now says you can call the visitor center nearest your trailhead or the main permit office to check in:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... rdb5144746
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:08 am
jhfowler wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 am I have my permit for next Thursday Onion Valley. I called last Friday and they answered right away. 760-873-2483. I had to call back to get some special instructions for Rae Lakes and that number was 760-873-2586.
What time/day of the week did you call? It's possible they get busy sometimes?
9am. I think the office opened at 8am. I'm sure they are still working out this new system which will give them WAY more calls than they usually get....
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

John, I just reached INF after numerous calls and they said they are extremely busy with calls today because it's Friday and they are short staffed. New staff are in training for permit reservation calls. Right now they are only helping people with permits within the next few days. They told me to call back early next week for my June 24th reservation (receive permit email and wilderness talk).
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Thanks to all, I know I have a while for them to get the system working. Sounds like if I call nearer to my departure date it will be fine. I have the number for the INF Lone Pine office.

John
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I have a trip heading over Duck Pass on 6/11. I've called the mammoth visitor center and confirmed with them. They are supposed to be emailing me my permit in the next day or two.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;