yosemite creek trail campsite advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

yosemite creek trail campsite advice

Post by adam »

Hi, I'm planning a family backpack down the Yosemite creek trail from July 16-18th. Plan is hike in day one, go to the falls and perhaps yosemite point and back day two, hike out day 3.

I have two questions:
First, is the road to the yosemite creek campground trailhead open? I realize the campground itself is closed, but it would be nice to park, or at least dropoff, at the trail head there rather than on 120.

Second, does anyone have recommendations for a nice campsite along the way? sites with high "play in the creek" potential would be best for our kids. I've done this hike once before, but I was 8 years old at the time, so I have no memory of the details of where we camped.

thanks for the help!
adam
Topix Acquainted

Re: yosemite creek trail campsite advice

Post by adam »

Ok, just found out the road to the campground trailhead is not open. But campsite advice still greatly appreciated! thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yosemite Creek will be high, so "play in the creek" probably will not be a safe option. Camping is not allowed at the top of Yosemite Falls or within about quarter to half mile. I did an overnight early one year and found little suitable (dry) camping on the west side of the creek (half mile up from the falls) so went across the bridge to the east side and found some sites well above the creek. Pretty dangerous down by the creek. I have camped up on the shoulder above Yosemite Point, but you have to haul water and it is not kid friendly either.

I think you need to find a camp area well before you reach Yosemite Falls. There is a trail that goes to Eagle Peak. You go up a hill to a large flat. It was snow covered when I was there, not sure if it is meadow or willows. It should be dry now. I have not been up Yosemite Creek any higher than this trial junction.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I helped "Sherpa" for friends along Yosemite Creek one year. Their 2-year-old was in a baby carrier that was just barely high enough to get across on the father's back.

Alternatively, if you go to the trailhead about a mile east of Porcupine Flat Campground, then follow the trail south, there are a couple of good streams, and you can camp near Indian Rock.

If the Yosemite Creek Campground is closed, then the gate near the highway will be closed.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

From Yosemite Creek campground, the trail down the creek stays on the west side the whole way. There is one significant side stream to cross about 2 miles south of the campground. About a mile south of that, as I remember, you start to see possible flat camping areas along Yosemite Creek. I think I remember a good streamside flat that looked promising for camping about 1 mile north of Yosemite Falls - north of the Eagle Peak trail jct mentioned by Wandering Daisy.

If you start at the Yosemite Creek trailhead on Tioga Road, you start on the east side of Yosemite Creek and have to ford it in the campground. To avoid the ford, you can start from the Lukens Lake trailhead on the Tioga Road west of Yosemite Creek. Take the trail south, NOT the trail to Lukens Lake. This trail follows that side stream I mentioned above down to its confluence with Yosemite Creek. I have not actually hiked this second trail but it shows clearly on the topo.

I took my kids into this area when they were quite young (6 to 11). We started from Porcupine Flat and took the trail that runs staight southwest to a low saddle and then down Lehamite Creek to the junction with the North Dome trail. We then walked east on that trail (have to cross the creek) about 1/4 mile to a flat ridge with good camping. No cliffs anywhere around. You have to carry water from Lehamite Creek. The next day, we walked over to Yosemite Point and Yosemite Falls. On a third day, you could go back to the trailhead via North Dome.

-Phil
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

thanks all for the advice, especially the suggestion for the lukens lake trail cutoff, which seems to be a half mile shorter and less up and down (just down) than the yosemite creek trail from 120. this was my first backpack trip as a kid, and I'm looking forward to taking my kids.