What's 140 trail miles north of Quaking Aspen?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

What's 140 trail miles north of Quaking Aspen?

Post by limpingcrab »

A friend's dad called with a broad question and I'm hoping I can get some help. He wants do do a trip this summer ending at Quaking Aspen Campground in Sequoia National Forest (south of Mineral King), he wants to take two weeks, travel approximately 140 miles, and is wondering where to start.

Background Info
-Once I'm outside of SEKI I may as well be in China because I know nothing so that's why I'm asking. I'm pretty sure it's roughly 100 trail miles hiking N->S through SEKI (depending on the route, of course)

-He would prefer to stay on trail so he can cover more distance with his time.

-He will be doing a resupply at Bearpaw Meadow (along the High Sierra Trail)

-He absolutely super duper completely loves fly fishing

So, where would be the approximate start? Devil's Postpile? Florence Lake? South Lake? Yosemite?

Thanks in advance to the best source of info on the net!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: What's 140 trail miles north of Quaking Aspen?

Post by maverick »

140 miles would put your closest entry point at Vermillion Resort at Thomas Edison Lake, and Little Lakes Valley via Mono Pass to the east, but that would add on 15 some miles. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks! Are there any mapping sites that calculate trail miles sort of like how you can calculate driving distance on google maps?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Google Earth has a distance ruler.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Ya, I use that a lot but when I want trail miles I have to pull out a bunch of maps and add up lots of numbers, I was hoping caltopo or something had a way of doing quicker.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Yes, caltopo.com will calculate trail distances and elevation changes when you trace out a trail. And to make it easier, you can "snap" to the openstreetmap trail information so it practically traces the trail for you.

Also, it sounds like you are imagining a primarily linear, north to south, trail to get 140 miles. You can certainly get that much mileage just within Sequoia-Kings Canyon parks by looping around, and that has the advantage of possibly putting your starting and ending trailheads closer together.

-Phil
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Awesome resources, thank you!

He wants to start as far north as possible for whatever reason so that's how this question came up.