TR: Twin Lakes and Ranger Lake in SEKI

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Twin Lakes and Ranger Lake in SEKI

Post by jeremiahkim »

A few weeks ago my wife and I took a few friends on their first backpacking trip into the Sierra. We had permits for Yosemite, but due to the fires/air quality we decided to roll the dice for walk up permits in SEKI and were able to grab an itinerary for Twin Lakes and Ranger Lake via Silliman Pass.

Being a last minute change, we didn't quite know what to expect but it ended up being a great weekend with the first-timers asking about the next trip (which is always a good sign).
DSC03696.JPG
DSC03755.JPG
DSC04024.JPG
DSC03952.JPG
DSC03980.JPG
Some Notes:
- Water everywhere but crossings are very manageable.
- Lots of established backcountry sites with bear lockers, although they are not noted on the NatGeo or USGS 7.5 minute maps.
- Added bonus of firepits/rings at several spots.
- Silliman Pass is gorgeous.
- Twin Lakes can get very crowded. We started mid-week and had the lake pretty much to ourselves on the way out, but crossed back on a Saturday and the lake was jam packed with wall-to-wall tents and hammocks.
- Brook trout biting in Clover Creek and larger Twin Lake. No sign of fish at Ranger Lake or Beville Lake/outlet creek. (Posted a note about these last two on the Lost Lake log thread. Anyone have any info on these?)

Happy trails!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Twin Lakes and Ranger Lake in SEKI

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR, pretty area, Lost Lake is the prettiest in the area, and one of the Sheep Camp Lakes for fishy, but you will have to back and figure out which one. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Twin Lakes and Ranger Lake in SEKI

Post by jeremiahkim »

maverick wrote:Thanks for the TR, pretty area, Lost Lake is the prettiest in the area, and one of the Sheep Camp Lakes for fishy, but you will have to back and figure out which one. ;)
I did see your note on one of the other threads about Sheep Camp but only after we returned. :crybaby:

Next time!