Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Post by rlown »

I'm feeling peckish for a Yellow lab this time. That will complete all the colors. I like female dogs better, of course spayed. Samantha never ran away and was completely under voice control, even when Bubba would run through an open gate and trundle about a mile down the road, Sam looked back at me and waited for a command. I said, "find Bubba" and she was off.

43 does seem less weight than labs are carrying now. I got Sam to stay at about 69lbs.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba; now Vinny

Post by rlown »

Well then. This year just keeps getting stranger. Had to put my Wife's horse Vinny down yesterday. 33 years was a good run. Rear legs just wouldn't work anymore.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Oh man. that's really rough Russ. So sorry for your loss. I have to say, I didn't know a horse could live 33 years, that is a good run...but certainly must feel like losing a family member. Condolences to the both of you.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thank you for your kind words. I doused him with two buckets of water trying to get him back up, and he just sat there. (hates water) Had my wife go out and watch and let her "call the ball." After he didn't kill me with the feet thrashing around moves, she said, "call the vet.".. It was quick and quiet, with the other horse, CR watching the whole time. Vinny had a good life. CR still wonders where his friend is.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Man, that's heartbreaking - even realizing he's had a good long life. And then CR, looking for his friend. Ouch.

I know it pales by comparison, but we've had a couple of cats that were companions for quite a while. About two months ago I hear one of them making an odd sound. So I step out the front door to see one of them hovering over the other which is obviously in serious distress and subsequently had to be euthanized. The remaining cat still looks for his buddy and hasn't been the same since.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It doesn't pale by comparison. They all know and remember, as do we.
rlown
Topix Docent

Welcome Simba!

Post by rlown »

HPIM0861.JPG
After a year, it was time. 5 1/2YO rescue lab. He was a backyard dog but he took 5 of the 6 toys I put out and put them in his crate. Gonna take a few days for him to calm down, but he's fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Congrats to you and Simba... Careful; they grow on ya! :lol:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba stayed in his open crate most of the day yesterday. Today he explored the house and the backyard. He's now mostly out of the crate and playing with his favorite toy.. The duck :) They said he was aggressive when I got him.. Not an aggressive bone in his body; he just wanted attention. Well, he's got mine.. He was a little afraid of the utility room (where the food and water are.) We're over that now.

Tuesday, the pool...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Congrats Russ!!!
Hope you and Simba brings each other many, many years of joy and happiness. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org