Mylar Balloons

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mylar Balloons

Post by Shawn »

I've found a few mylar balloons in the Sierra. One of my first hikes, years back, was to East Lake. As I was peering up to Mount Brewer in awe, I saw an odd reflection which I found the next day to be a balloon. Kind of put a damper on the "I'm really out here" thinking as back country newbie.

Some years later I found the remains of a weather balloon transponder gizmo off trail near White Chief, above Mineral King.

Lastly, Sierra aside, I have found many in the Carrizo Plain. Seems the Plain must be in the direct air current path from Bakersfield or something?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Mylar balloons are down on my list of "bad things in the wilderness." They weigh nothing, just pick them up and take them out. In the Wind Rivers we found one with a message inside from a grade school class. It had a phone number but we were not able to track it down.

I know that I should just let everyone "hike their own hike", but it does bother me when: I run into someone, earbuds in, mentally back in and dependent on civilization. Folks on a scenic high pass doing nothing but looking at their cell phones. Or eyes glued to their GPS navigating dot-to-dot. Powerful LED headlamps that shine into my campsite from afar. People so intense in their chit-chat that they miss everything around them. Toothpaste in the streams. **** and TP under a rock. Warm coals left in a fire pit. Food wrap, Kleenex, etc. on the trail. Tin cans in firepits (a lot more awkward to carry out than a Mylar balloon). Soapy lakes. Loud obnoxious groups. Not that all that directly impacts me, but do they realize they are missing the wilderness experience? Maybe they do not even care.
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

Visual pollution is not the only problem with those things - yesterday one started a fire here in San Jose:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06/14/ ... ghway-101/
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:26 pm ...I know that I should just let everyone "hike their own hike", but it does bother me when: I run into someone, earbuds in, mentally back in and dependent on civilization. Folks on a scenic high pass doing nothing but looking at their cell phones....
I'm that guy! Without the earbuds. Every day I load stuff on my cell phone and head out with the dog. Shifting my attention frequently between technical papers and trees gives me better focus when I'm on task, than spending continuous hours sitting at a computer. And the dog prefers that also.

On a backpack trip I can finally get to that long review paper I haven't had time for at home -