compatibility with backpacking others

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: compatibility with backpacking others

Post by Jimr » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 am

Wandering Daisy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:03 am
Good leaders can be very subtle, but they have the ability to create group cohesiveness and harmony.
Often times, the leader is not the one in front. On a slightly different note, a person with good leadership skills yet is not the "leader" will often take on more subtle roles if there seems to be a need. I've been on several group hikes where I noticed a straggler and chose to hang back with them for support. I observed that same behavior in others as well. Hanging back and taking head counts from time to time, etc.

“Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 pm

If I get the permit, I feel somewhat responsible. Last trip I went on with a group, I was on Metoprolol and Lisinopril. I intended to drop the drugs two days before the trip up Rafferty to Evelyn Lk. I forgot. I was the permit holder. I had to stop early as I had no heart rate capability and hiking slow. Told the other two to go ahead to fish as that was the point of the trip. Just told them no fires.. kind of a bummer as their stove failed.
I stayed behind solo as I wasn't going to die and had my inReach incase.

We all knew where we were and I stayed close below on the trail, but didn't feel like doing the scramble up to the lake.

Off the drugs now after retiring. Stress. I trusted my second to deal with the third's desire to do stupid.

There is an implicit chain of command that comes with groups. It works but you have to know your hiking partners and figure out the trust thing.

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:23 am

rlown wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 pm
If I get the permit, I feel somewhat responsible.
That's because you are, at least in the eyes of the issuing authority.
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 am

TahoeJeff wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 am
balzaccom wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 am
I have never gone on a backpacking trip with a "group of equals..."
Wow!
Every time I go on a trip with a group, we treat each other as "equals".
As noted, I don't go backpacking in groups at all, unless it is a trail crew. One of the reasons we love backpacking so much is the quality time my wife and I get when we are out alone. I'm just not as motivated to go out with a group...

To be fair, my wife and I treat each other as equals in our group...the only way to stay married, as far as i can see.
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 am

rlown wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 pm
how do you know you never snore?

I'm a nice guy that doesn't want to torture people. :D

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am

As a rule I have limited backcountry trips to family and very few others. I did take a "newbie" on a trip a few years ago and the joke was that his wife paid me to kill him off by the difficulty of the trip. But I knew as a road bicyclist he was in good shape and he did great and grumbled considerably less than markskor my best hiking buddy ever. However in some ways I do not "play well with others," especially when off trail. If I am certain of the best route I will go my way and the others can follow or not. if I am not certain I will ask for others opinions. Actually Mark is the only one I remember consulting with. After 60 years of backpacking I have become pretty confident in my decision making. I didn't get this old, often out solo, without paying attention to what I was doing and what was happening around me. I have experieced extreme weather and knew when to hunker down. Observed oncoming changes in weather and chose to bail out. Chosen to back track when taking a bad route. I once had planned on taking a ski trip circumventing Crater Lake with a group. However I had the opportunity to ski with the leader of the trip and as a result did not trust his judgement. Rather than putting myself in a position where I might feel like challenging the leader's decision and screwing up group dynamics I decided not to go on the trip. On another occasion maverick met me in the yosemite backcountry. He suggested a route I did not feel comfortable with and told him so. He graciously decided to accompany me on the trail as we returned. The best thing about going solo for me is that I can selfishly do exactly what I want to do when I want to. It is a basically a sense of freedom that is not possible when one participates in a group or as a member of society.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:52 pm

"sense of freedom" sometimes means freedom from excessive worry. Last summer I did three trips solo and then two with another person. The reason I asked someone else to go with me on those two trips was being in grizzly country. Although I have soloed in grizzly country, the anxiety is ever present. In Canada, they actually require backpackers to be in groups of four or more where there are a lot of grizzlies. The Wind Rivers have a relatively low number of grizzlies, mostly in the northern part of the range. I really do not know if two people are more safe than one, but I think it does help.

Overall I enjoyed the mix of solo and having partners. Occasionally, I have met others who are compatible and we camp together for a night then part ways (the PCT style of backpacking). And the flip side; socialize on the trail on the trail where there are plenty of opportunities to mix and then part ways and camp alone. So I think there are plenty of ways to mix and match solo and group backpacking without the compatibility issues of a continuous trip with an organized group.

dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:48 pm

I used to hike extensively with a group of friends, but had to stop traveling together.

Would you want to go hiking with someone that always lagged behind never catching up, constantly whined and complained, shirked his share of camp chores, and had cheap gear that was always falling apart?

Neither did they, so now I have to hike alone.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:53 pm

Would you want to go hiking with someone that always lagged behind never catching up, constantly whined and complained, shirked his share of camp chores, and had cheap gear that was always falling apart?

Neither did they, so now I have to hike alone.
:lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org