Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Post by rlown »

strange.. I read those earlier today as well. You feel free not to filter. I'm gonna recommend filtering. Studies aren't always what they appear to be.

Phil, you even said you had it once. How is a filter that big of a deal?

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xXpaTGyOASY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Thanks to those who responded to my question.. I looked at all the links.. I will continue to treat water if I am at low elevation or on a major trail, and not worry about it if I am at an unnamed lake at 11,000 feet with no trail. My last trip, of 11 days, I treated water for 2 days and no treatment for 9. I realize there is a risk, but I think it is small from the information I have.. ( I realize that there are always critters above you!). I currently treat with pills as they are light.
I just find the streripen unreliable and the filters bulky and pain in ass. I would love to see this subject continue to evolve though with facts on actual cases in the high Sierra.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I just find the steripen unreliable
Why, have used it over a decade, in areas that I consider suspect, have never contracted Giardia. Big key is to wash hand thoroughly with soap and water, and don't share gorp (putting hands into the bag).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

On the steripen.. I have worked with two myself and one used by a backpacking partner. So 3 in total first hand experience. All of them got what I call the "dreaded red light". I asked what this was and was told batteries inadequate. The first time, it could have been operator error. the second time, I knew batteries were the right type and brand new. same thing happened to my partner with his. You get a red light telling you it didn't finish.
It has been two years since I last used it..so this is from memory. But I decided to switch back then.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

was it because the battery was cold? I'd hate red lights as well.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

I had someone later tell me that the batteries might have been cold... but then...what good is that? I can't remember if it was morning only..when I got the red light.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It is about as useful as a frozen water filter.. :) Everything I bring that has batteries sleeps with me in the sleeping bag. Even the poly bottle of water sleeps with me. The water filter stays in the pack, but nestled in clothing so it doesn't freeze.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As Russ points out, if temps are cold, anything with batteries need to be insulated overnight from the cold, especially Lithium batteries.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And especially Alkaline batteries. Dropped two new ones into a camera once and it showed dead. Lithium are more forgiving, but still suffer from cold.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My dad used to always tell me if the batteries are cold, hold them under your armpit for awhile. I always wondered why his battery powered stuff smelled, funny.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.