What's Your Opinon

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What's Your Opinon

Post by rlown »

If it takes at least 2 days to get somewhere nice, I will say where it is. Most won't go unless it's a day trip.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Dave said "nomenclature" haha. I like that and I do agree with what you said, Dave. And Rogue, you're photos are awesome. Seeing photos like yours and FishMonger and anyone else for that matter gets more people outdoors, out of the city and breathing clean air, getting exercise etc...While is a bummer to see a spot you've been a few times before and had solitude to be full of other people or even just a few people when before there was none, it's good to see more people outside versus indoors. Do "Secret spots" even exist? People that really want solitude can find it anywhere. I find solitude when I camp in Desolation Wilderness, or any other wilderness for that matter, multiple times every summer. One just needs a little cc travel over the next ridge or something. Most people are just following a trail from point A to point B. More people out hiking and backpacking is a good thing in my opinion but I think a lot of people don't understand how to use the wilderness without damaging it or trashing it and that can and has lead to many problems. That's my 2 cents
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I used to have this reoccurring dream, more like a nightmare. There’s a lake on Goddard Creek (many of us know it) that I particularly like. I’m backpacking my way to this lake and as I finally approach it, I see a huge crowd of people. What happened!? Seems that since the last time I was there, somebody built a road up the other side. There was now a parking lot full of cars and a large chalet.

I’ve come back to this thread several times trying to iron out my thoughts on this article. My head keeps going to fishing. Fisher folk have known for a long time the cost of spot burning. Word of mouth travels fast. We speak freely of fishing trips, but we have a sensitive section and share our information wisely. We promote, not discourage others picking up a rod and reel and getting out there. We speak more freely around places that are well known and more cryptically around others. Our concern these days are not a few dozen people finding out about our cherry hole. Our concern is an onslaught.

I see no difference in the tone of this article. It brings the same idea to pretty spots. Speak generally, but be more discerning when it comes to particular spot data. There are plenty of pretty spots to be found if you just look. No need to dog pile on this one or that one.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

How many people are familiar with compound annual population growth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY

I'm sure the author of the article is; since he's probably aware, he's purposely complaining to provide content fodder for the website.

California's population in 1970 was 20m - by 2020 it will be 40m. A 2x doubling over 50 years means a 1.5%- annual growth rate. If growth rates remain constant, by 2070 California's population will 80m - still nowhere close to Japan.

Gripe, ****, moan, etc, but the facts remain. Add rapid improvements in technology and communications, and the result is exactly what we see today. Since no one can change/alter these future trajectories ie the trends will continue unless there is a catastrophic die-off from resource depletion, war, plague, etc, only you can manage how you **perceive & react** to these changes.

If it makes someone feel better yelling at some kids to 'get off my lawn', then go for it. Just don't expect others who have a macro view of what is occurring to support that type of reaction. Rather, if you catch an empty day, or as Russ mentions, are willing to hike 2 days to get to certain locations, then you should rejoice about that special occasion, and not expect it to be any kind of standard.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I shared almost everything and everyplace I went and what the fishing was like because the vast majority of my destinations were really remote (that's why I'm Cross Country) and there was almost no chance of it being overused.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My trips are always planned with a free day to get wherever I'm going because after a 5-8hr drive, one needs that time to adjust. Then, the actual trip demands layover days. I didn't tightly time-box my trips. That just seems silly. If I hit a place I like, I stay for a bit. That could be a 5 day, 7 or 10 day "visit." It's really about relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. Wife has orders not to call anyone with worries until 2-3 days after I said I'd exit.

And yes.. Get off my now dead lawn.

I agree with you on this CC. Share at will if it takes time to get there.