non-SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
ofuros
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: non SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by ofuros »

New day dawning over the aging Glasshouse Mts, Qld, Australia.
The soft outer craters have worn away leaving these hard volcanic plugs....
Mt Ngungun (5) (Large).JPG
Last rays of the day.....Mt Lindsay in the distance viewed from Mt Maroon.
The temps on the windy summit were falling quickly, so I dropped down to
a sheltered ridge & made camp among the stunted & twisted eucalypts.
P5050014 (Medium).JPG
Morning views of Mt Barney...with some of the 10 or so ridges on view,
that we locals like to explore & climb to it's double headed, east & west peaks.
P4050278 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I took my first trip to the Columbia River Gorge last month and was amazed at the concentrated beauty of the place. It didn't seem to matter where in the Gorge I was, 30 minutes in any direction offered seemingly unlimited opportunities of natures finest.

Panther Creek Falls has been on my "bucket list" for a while and it did not disappoint. I came prepared with 30 feet of rope and hip waders and I put both to good use for this shot. I can't wait to get to back, the three hours I was there passed in an instant.

[rimg]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8621/157 ... f184_o.jpg[/rimg]Pantherdell by DY Photo, on Flickr
-------------
Dave | flickr
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

I did a Heli-in backpacking trip to the Yukon in September, right at the height of Fall color. In addition to some amazing Aurora we were also treated to great Fall color. This is looking West toward the Tombstone Range.

ImageTombstone Range, Yukon by David Young, on Flickr
Last edited by SirBC on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Those Tombstone Peaks are stunning- nice photos! Is this an area where we can take our dogs? We're going to be traveling in Canada before long. Thanks, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Thanks, Ian. It was a great trip and one I am hoping to do again. I've been thinking about going in September 2019. The fall colors there are spectacular. If I do go I will be hiking in on the Grizzly Lake Trail and then over Glissade Pass. I have a handful of other photos from there on my Flickr page in my signature.

The park has a PDF with a lot of good info: www.env.gov.yk.ca/camping-parks/documen ... AL2017.pdf

It looks like dogs are allowed if they are on leash. I think the leash requirement is more to protect the tundra than because of the Grizzly's. Once past Grizzly lake there are no established trails but there are use trails between some of the lakes and they ask that you stay on flagged routes and hardscape whenever possible. They are pretty serious about protecting the tundra. When I went in the beginning of September (2014) there had been an early snow and then a melt which made the ground soggy. When we went to pick up our permit they were cancelling all existing permits and they were helicoptering out people who were already camping in the park because the soggy ground made the tundra more susceptible to damage. I was with a commercial group and for some reason they let us continue with our trip. I know that they have also helicoptered out a large group who were backpacking without permits. So I would take the leash requirement to heart.

Oh, and if you do go, take a tripod. The Northern Lights there were just jaw-dropping amazing.

ImageAlexandrite Lights by David Young, on Flickr
-------------
Dave | flickr
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey, thanks for both the inspirational photos and the information on Park policies. How long did you leave your shutter open to create that image of the aurora? I spent a winter north of Fairbanks, and learned to love the Northern Lights, but never captured them with a camera.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

That shot was 10 seconds at iso 3200 and f2.8. Most of my shots from that night were from 5 to 10 seconds. Longer than that and the streaks of light lost their definition as they danced about and looked "smeared", so I kept the shutter speed relatively short. I thought that I had taken a longer exposure for the land and then blended that with the sky, but looking at the files the land and the sky was captured in one shot. The nearly full moon was just peeking over the tops of the mountains to the right which lit up the mountains and also gave that red color to the clouds on the right.
-------------
Dave | flickr
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Sunrise, Walden Pond
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Some photos from day hikes on our trip to the Italian Dolomites 2nd week of September this year.

Odle Mountains at head of Val di Funes:
IMG_3466.jpg
Marmolada from the Viel dal Pan:
IMG_3532.jpg
Tres Cime:
P1160515.jpg
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Fantastic Phil,

We've long wanted to get deeper into the Dolomites. It looks like you saw them in fine weather. I recall Gaston Rebuffat describing the climbing on Tres Cime as "climbing on air." I guess because of the extreme overhanging nature of the cliff, they spent so much of the climb in etriers. Have you figured out a way to travel with your dogs (?), or are you a sad, dogless family?