TR: Backpacking with kids -- Cirque of the Towers loop

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Backpacking with kids -- Cirque of the Towers loop

Post by Harlen »

oddtiger family,
Congratulations on your fantastic trip! Lizzie and I poured over it, or rather, your trip report poured over us-- memories of how great it was backpacking with our kids. We also had a golden retriever with us when they were young. Does Chopper swim in everything too? One of our very best trips with them was also to Cirque of the Towers.

early summer trips 2009 040.jpg
Looking over Deep Lake toward East Temple Peak.

early summer trips 2009 071.jpg
early summer trips 2009 064.jpg
Coming down from Jackass Pass.

Your short but wonderful TR is one of our very favorites ever! We loved your photos, and I began listing the ones I wanted to compliment you on... and then gave up-- Too Many!! So, I'll just say that we loved all of the kid pictures, and especially the one titled: "Cirque of the Towers from the North," and ALL of your dog Chopper, especially the upside-down one, and the one of him from "Picture Time from the Pass." I have always loved photos in which the humans are small amid the vastness of nature; Galen Rowell spoke eloquently about this effect, and produced the ultimate image of this with his photo: "Three Climbers on Mount Everest's West Ridge..."
You have captured this feeling perfectly in many of your images, and I especially admire the images: "Mia Hiking Toward Barren Lake..."; "Mia and Chopper Fetching Water"; and "Sunset at Big Sandy River." All great shots! Thanks for posting such a fun and inspirational trip. Harlen Clan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Backpacking with kids -- Cirque of the Towers loop

Post by oddtiger »

Harlen, thank you for your compliments! I am so glad it brought back your memories of backpacking with kids. They look so happy in the picture. I bet they enjoyed glissading on the slope! Chopper doesn't swim much, but always soaks himself in shallow water and looks for fish. He got one before. I should have written up more trip reports but hardly got any chance since Mia was born, as we tried really hard not to stay at home with kids. It's just much easier throwing them out in the woods. Will post more old TR after this backpacking season. -Andy