Trip Report: Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass, May 2017

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report Kearsarge to Shepherd Pass

Post by Harlen »

Interesting that Forester was more dangerous for Bear, whereas Shepherd is dangerous for all. Hobbes

It's just that if "Bear," or any large mammal, slid down Shepherd, they would likely be miserable, but alive; whereas a slip off the cliffy bits on south side of Forester Pass could lead one into the next life (if anyone still believes in that sort of thing).
There's not much chance of a self arrest when one is bouncing down a rocky slope. Ghastly, eh?

*Say Hobbes, check the PM.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Harlen - nice trip! As to the gear choice question, I am firmly convinced that skis are the way to go - but lighter skis. Mornings, though, I have often found that it is faster and easier to walk under some conditions than to ski. Planning your days so that it's uphill in the morning can help, so that by the time you want to go down hill, things have softened up nicely. And of course, since I am not such a good skier, I sometimes have to walk down - discretion being the better part of valor and all that.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks Harlen.I bought new cramps and axe 6yrs ago.They have yet to be used.I think they may get used this season!I ll be using gaiters.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I think this is the year to get them out there "Davela." The back side of My Baldy (San Antonio) was a fun romp up with crampons and ice axe, up from above the town of Wrightwood. There are a lot of bighorn sheep on that side too- more sign than I 've ever seen in the Sierra. We went up there once, and met a guy at the top- "Newcastle Bob," or some such name, who hikes a 12-pack up every other weekend or so. Maybe you'll meet him! Not a crank, but a local mountaineer who knew every peak and pass in sight. Here are a few photos from Mt Baldy:
DSC00670.JPG
DSC00609.JPG

If not there, you can't go wrong hiking up to Kearsarge in the early morning with the crampons- just look how beautiful the views are! All the best, Harlen.
carl book 009.JPG
carl book 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Majestic and incredible report Harlen! I love all those areas especially the King's Kern Divide region. Have yet to do Kearsarge and Shepherd though. Although I think Shepherd will fall this year in the quest to do Williamson in the fall.

I will strongly second what Hobbes and you advocate for in terms of the ice ax. Mine always comes with me when I expect pretty much any snow at all. I don't even really care if it's all that steep because I never know exactly what route I might want to take. Mine is 11 ounces and I have trusted it on some pretty intense glissades so for 11 ounces I'll bring it to save me from an unfortunate demise. The crampons only come part of the time and get used even less of the time.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Magnificent trip report. Thank you so very much for posting!!!
After 4 years of backcountry skiing, this April we skied from Twin Lakes to Duck pass. It was gloriously beautiful and a big accomplishment for us! I wanted to try a trip like yours this year, but I chickened out fearing I still do not have the skill. It was great to see the Sierra in your pictures.
Thank you again!!!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Did you ski from the big Twin Lakes under the Sawtooth Ridge all the way to Duck Pass?! I don't think I have skied half that distance in one trip! Can I trade some of my foolhardiness for your stamina?

Which passes did you use? I love going up Horse Creek Pass- I assume you used that one at the start? Up through the frozen Toulumne and on to Donohue? How did you get away from the wood stove at the TM Ski Hut? I've been known to stay there nearly a week!

I'd love to hear more about your tour.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Excellent post, thank you for the detailed account. I think Bear and Branch have the same pack! Image
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Branch,

We have the same blue pack, same green collar, same color fur.... hope we can meet up one day. "Woof!" Bear.

p.s. Do you like to swim? Chase sticks? Chase guys on skis? Cool.
bearandvidetteDSCN0039[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Harlen wrote:Hey Branch,

We have the same blue pack, same green collar, same color fur.... hope we can meet up one day. "Woof!" Bear.

p.s. Do like to swim? Chase sticks? Chase guys on skis? Cool.
bearandvidetteDSCN0039[1].jpg
I love to chase sticks and swim in the alpine lakes! I've never seen someone skiing but if my dad jumped on some I would follow as I am always nearby!Image