Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

You may luck out and catch someone coming out, most folks finish their trips on a weekend, otherwise it will be a hot one, take plenty of water and an umbrella. :cool:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My parasol won't be enough? I'll bring my sombrero.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Heh. I'm guessing it'll be safe to assume it's you if I happen to spot someone walking down Taboose Creek Rd. as I start my way up, :p I tend to leave around noon or so, and it's only 2h40 to the turn for Taboose. Could try to time leaving home to be a bit more in tune, but that's not the easiest thing to do that far out.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm sure I'll be the only fool walking the road ](*,)
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

What will be in Jim's "headphones"
Roger Miller's... "King of the Road" :unibrow:
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Lots of talk about walking the Taboose Pass Road. After realizing yesterday evening that I need to hike the road up after getting out at Sawmill on the 3rd of August I'd like to know some info about the rough section.

How much distance would I need to walk and how long would you say it would take? I'm hoping to get out at Sawmill late in the afternoon and hike up the road when it's cooler rather than midday or even late morning.

Another question: Are there any Bear Boxes at either Taboose or Sawmill Trailheads? If there aren't what is the best viable option for storing food while I'm out for 12 days in the backcountry? I was thinking maybe the post office in Independance or Big Pine.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago I came out Taboose Pass Road, and my car was up at South Lake. I had hoped to hitch, but nobody showed up! So I walked the road. It was longer than I had expected (but I had also just come down from the pass, so was tired). Be sure to fill up with water before you go down, because there is no water along the way. Also, I did not have a map with the road on it, so I got a bit confused. There are several junctions. I went to the campground, where there were people who then took me to Bishop. If you go to the campground you may be able to find someone who would take you to your destination.

If you had a mountain bike, you could bike down the roads and it would be a lot faster.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is straight-forward road walking - you can do about 3 mph even with a pack on.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

austex wrote:What will be in Jim's "headphones"
Roger Miller's... "King of the Road" :unibrow:
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CzFi65W_ZAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]