Conditions for Kearsarge, Taboose, Shephard, Baxter or Sawmi

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Conditions for Kearsarge, Taboose, Shephard, Baxter or Sawmi

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm considering a day hike next weekend and wondering how far up the subj passes I might get before encountering significant snow (and needing to turn around). I saw a post from last weekend that said Onion Valley trail had patchy snow till Pothole Lake and then solid past that point. I've never been up the other passes but thought it might be a good opportunity to get in one of these challenging climbs before it gets too hot at the lower elevations. Thanks in advance.
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Conditions for Kearsarge, Taboose, Shephard, Baxter or Sawmi

Post by KathyW »

How about going and finding out? - it'll be a fun adventure even if you don't get all the way to the one of the passes. If the snow is consolidated, it might be easier going than walking on the dirt. Just keep in mind that nice soft snow turns icy fast when the temperatures drop. I'd have to guess you'll hit at least patchy snow by 10,000' and even lower on the north facing slopes, but I'm just guessing.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Re: Conditions for Kearsarge, Taboose, Shephard, Baxter or Sawmi

Post by cloudlesssky »

Went up Baxter Pass trail yesterday (4/12/13). Posted pics.