Survival / Lost, what would you do?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Survival / Lost, what would you do?

Post by sambieni »

Just completed 2-day 16 hour NOLS Wilderness First Aid 2 year certification course. (Recognize number of you likely have this training already, but just in case) It is mostly geared to group leaders/camp counselors and the like, but I lead myself/friend(s)/family and figured worthwhile skill. I highly recommend.

Made me a bit more anxious thinking all the problems I could encounter en route. But provides a great framework for addressing and thinking through potential hazards and medical needs of your group. They do lots of scenario-based lessons to size up a group member who is ill, etc; they do a lot to cut the chafe and avoid individual/personal experience and what ifs and force you to think comfortable w/in your own zone. What they do not do, is review lots of scenarios as you may find in this thread of how to survive and the what if. It really is just scenario assessment as far as an individual's illness/injury.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Survival / Lost, what would you do?

Post by rlown »

Congrats on taking a class. Better to feel more informed than anxious. Hope most of what you learned never has to be employed.. I may have said this before, but If I lead a trip, I demand to know the medical needs of everyone in the group and make sure everyone knows, even my needs. I've almost cancelled trips the night before because one member didn't tell me an issue.