Edibles | High Sierra Topix  

Edibles

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Edibles

Postby copeg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Just curious what sort of 'edibles' in the backcountry folks have tried.

Not much for me: fish (I guess they count), wild onions, raspberries, at one time I was tempted to eat a Bolete mushroom, but didn't have the patience to cook it properly (BTW I would not recommend 'hunting' mushrooms unless you know what you're doing - :puke: ).

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Edibles

Postby ERIC » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Currants, Sierra gooseberries, Sierra onions, Sierra ginger, wild mushrooms...I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Postby Rosabella » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Those funny little frogs - toast 'em up.... they taste like popcorn! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rosabella
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby markskor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Wild onions (anytime I can smell them on the trail), Sierra wild mountain Blackberries, wild mushrooms often...(Those Botany classes at UCLA help out.), and Miner"s lettuce - just off the top of my head....probably more to add too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor

Postby TehipiteTom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:10 pm

Mosquitoes. But not intentionally.
:p
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby cgundersen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Greg,
The time of year makes all the difference: wild strawberries (September) can be incredible and I've done well where Paiute/French canyon intersect. Blueberries (also best in September) are all over the place but the last great catch was in Dusy basin. Boletes (also most prevalent in autumn) are best if you dry 'em out first (but, it's important to get them before the worms do), then they add an amazing jolt to soups, pastas etc. Morels (I've generally only found them at lower elevations, and again worms may get 'em before you do) are common in recent burn areas and it's very hard to confuse them with other mushrooms. But, I'll say that those popcorn frogs of Sierra Maclure may be the best if you carry butter and a little garlic!
cameron
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby Timberline » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Hey,Trailblazer
Interesting thread. . . what appetizing thoughts to gather here in the dead of winter!
OK, pan fried trout, if that counts. Can't think of a better way to enjoy such a delicacy except fresh caught and cooked over an open fire in butter, bread crumbs and herb seasoning. MMMMM!
But my favorite memory is Sierria wild onions, picked, cleaned, sliced and added immediately to my soup of dried bacon bits, potato, chopped egg, dried parsely, carrot and celery. This was after the long climb from Big Pete Meadow to an evening of stupendous alpengow in Dusy Basin . A moment to remember for sure, particularly since I was accompanied by one of my best trail buddies at that time, who savored the experience as much as I. As Chris McCandless said, happiness isn't real unless shared. :D
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Timberline
Topix Regular

Postby TehipiteTom » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:14 am

Once at Sheep Crossing my buddy Lou caught a couple trout and stuffed them with sage and wild onions, and grilled them over a wood fire...that was awesome.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Postby Aviprk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Can anyone post pics of what patches of wild onion, rasberry, gooseberry and all look like? whenever in the High Sierras I only see tons of rocks, meadows and forests
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Postby BSquared » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 am

Aviprk wrote:Can anyone post pics of what patches of wild onion, rasberry, gooseberry and all look like? whenever in the High Sierras I only see tons of rocks, meadows and forests

And what do boletes look like in the Sierra? I've harvested tons of them (almost literally) in the Snowy Range near Laramie, Wyoming, but I've never seen them in the Sierra (but then, I've never really looked).
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby dave54 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 pm

No one mentioned pine nuts?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby cgundersen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Aviprk & Bsquared,
I hoisted a link to a decent webpage for boletes that I'll paste below; otherwise, Google searches should be good for getting pictures and info on the rest of the edibles. As for pine nuts, I've found that animals/insects tend to beat me to pine nuts more often than worms beat me to boletes, and at least with the latter, you can usually cut out the wormy part (unless you like worms).
Here's the link: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Boletus_edulis.html
cameron
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Backcountry Food Topix