Your Appetite while Backpacking?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your Appetite while Backpacking?

Post by rlown » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Bearzy? :(

I know, that would be really low on my list as well.

Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Your Appetite while Backpacking?

Post by Rockyroad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am

Harlen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:24 pm
Rockyroad writes:
after reading about Harlen's fasting experiment, I considered going out with only Fritos and peanut M&Ms. However, I decided against it because if I got tired of them, I wouldn't have anything else to fall back on.
Regarding "nothing else to fall back on"- why not very small pieces of one's own flesh? I read somewhere that cannibalizing oneself when starving doesn't really work well because one burns as many calories healing the wound as you gain from the piece of yourself. I wonder how well studied this technique really is though? The lack of of data leaves the question open, at least it does to me ..... perhaps the NOLS could do further experiments- WD? For instance, what if after taking a bite out of your shoulder or biceps you immediately cauterize the wound, pop a pain pill, and just keep on truckin' down the Rockyroad? An extreme version of the "self-sufficient" trip.

Rocky, do you hike with a partner, if so, another option presents itself.... Alexander Pearce anyone???

Well I have heard, and then read a lot about obscure Alexander Pearce, and his grisly backcountry traveling methods. Mainly because my friend Shaun Pearce- the mild looking Tasmanian school teacher pictured below, likes to think he's related, and calls him "Uncle Alex." If nothing else, Alexander Pearce was a survivor.

Ahh, the age-old conundrum of who gets eaten when the food supply gets low, or unappetizing (to stay on topic). I hike solo most of the time so haven’t had to wrestle with this problem, but I have wondered whether marmot tastes like chicken.

Do you hike with Shaun? Probably a good idea to carry plenty of food if you do.