New guy saying hello

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
CSF
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

New guy saying hello

Post by CSF »

New guy saying hello to everyone here! :waving I recognize Windwalker from the NPN forums. Hi Michael. I rediscovered this site about a month ago. Which at that point tried registering several times but it didn't take for some reason. Well, just tried again and it worked-yeah! :) this is such a great site about the sierra.

The eastern sierra is where I love being the most. So much so that my wife and I are looking into moving there soon. Gotta find a job first! I am just getting my photography business going, isn't everyone :), and so far have really concentrated on more intimate images of the eastern sierra. I haven't been since nov, just after thanksgiving, so I've been itching to go. Might be going to bishop in a couple weeks looking at houses and for a job. Anyone here live in bishop?

Any how that's a little background info. Great to see everyone's work here.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hi Cory! Welcome! Best of luck on your photography business! I'd love to have second home in Bishop to spend lots of time in the eastern Sierra for backpacking and photography! Maybe we should start an investment club where a group of us eastern Sierra-lovers get together and buy a house over there and we can all take turns staying there! :D
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Hey Cory, Welcome to HST! :cool:

I have been telling my wife I want to move to Bishop for a couple of years now. If I had some money Aspendale looks real nice :unibrow:
I think jobs might be a little scarce over there though.

If you think about it.... there are innumerable photo ops accessible from Bishop!

Buck...I'm in!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Hey, I could come up with a few hundred. Pennies. My thoughts at times too. Retirement maybe. Less snow on the east side in places than where I live up north. It would be easier on the back, but then I would still cut firewood so that doesn't help the back much.
Piece of cake.
CSF
Topix Acquainted

Post by CSF »

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Buck-Good idea. How about we buy a builiding and start a co-op gallery on Main st., Bishop? Great pics you've got on your website!

windwalker-Aspendale is nice. Too much snow and the threat of avalanches during the winter for me though. You're in a pretty inviable location. Not too far from KCNP and SNP. My parents almost moved us to Porterville back in the early eighties. The county of inyo and caltrans is hiring quite a few positions right now, as well as city of mammath and mono counties.
Yep, the photo and writing possibilities are endless.....
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Welcome Cory. Best of luck finding a niche in the Owens. Very tough area for decent paying jobs. There are large numbers of talented escapees from the Southland just living off their bank accounts you will need to compete with. And at the low end, illegal Hispanics aliens have taken most of the low end jobs in places like Mammoth. ...David
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hi Cory, welcome to the board!
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Hey Cory, Are you making any sales at Acclaim?
I'm going to have to diversify a little more I guess.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey Windwalker, I'm hoping to be able to go full-time photographer by next summer! God has been blessing me so much! I still don't even have a website up yet, nor do I do any active marketing, but I am contacted regurlarly by publishers to license images and people wanting to buy prints. I really like licensing images because all I have to do is send them a file, no dealing with prints and mailing. But selling prints is very profitable too, and I don't charge nearly as much as the big guys. I'm very happy with the way my Fuji Velvia 50 slides (35mm) enlarge to 20x30... they're just as sharp as the 16x20 versions with just as much color. I'm hoping to get a Canon 5D this fall... and then on to my Pentax 67II and Fuji GX617 panorama. At the very least, because of photography I've been able to keep my wife home full-time with Gabriel, which was goal #1! Next comes the houses in Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, Lee Vining, Bridgeport, Tahoe, and Kauai. :D

I haven't done the arts/crafts shows yet that you have done so well with, maybe I can get my wife to try a couple and see how it goes. I did get three images in the California State Fair, which are on display right now, and thankfully all three already sold. I LOVE THE WILDERNESS!!! Life is good®. Thank you Lord.
SierraVisions
Founding Member

Post by SierraVisions »

Hey Cory.
I live in Bishop. Welcome to the site.
If ya have any questions fire away and I'll see if I can answer them for ya.

Steven