My New 20D

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Windwalker »

Shawn...much, much more in some cases :nod:

My next lens purchase....if I can ever save up enough dough will be the f/2.8 400mm IS "L" ($6,599) At least that's the plan.(with my 1.4x tele extender it would be a 560mm f/4....great setup for wildlife/birds) I'm going to have to do really, really well at photography for my wife to go along with that purchase though. LOL!

The 17-40mm f/4 L is very reasonable for an "L" class lens, very sharp and great for landscapes. The 1.6 crop factor of the 20D/350D/300D does
get in the way sometimes making the 17-40mm shoot more like a 27-64mm....that's why Buck doesn't like the smaller sensor.

If you choose to go with consumer grade lenses...I recomend buying primes (fixed focal length lenses) There are lots of inexpensive zooms out there and there is a reason they're cheap. Most are fairly sharp at the minimum focal length but lose much of their sharpness when fully zommed....there are tons of lens reviews on the web that bare this out.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Thanks WW. That's some great and specific information that'll help me learn to make better choices.

I like the comment about the wife's agreement to the new lens :p
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Shawn, I quit carrying an SLR years ago ,because of weight. Then I started carrying elcheapo 35mm just to record the dirty deeds. Last summer I saw what digital can do. Everyone is an expert at taking pictures. Instant grading of photos. I know little, but I promptly went out and picked up an HP 3x optical zoom that does a servicable job. Others can be more specific, but I think you should try for at least 3x optical for a starter in this format. Feather light. The book almost weighs more than the camera. You will be amazed ,but it ain't the same as a $1000 camera! However ,the tradeoffs are worthwhile for a neophyte. You will have to promptly upgrade to a bigger chip, most likely. And you can do all kinds of things with it and the computer ,of which I am totally ignorant. This may not be news to you, but maybe there are some other dinosaurs like me out there who will be helped by this new and "simple" technology. jls
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Well you've pretty much nailed my dilema. I had planned to get myslef a new camera in the spring, but nothing on the order of the 20D (that is until I started reading here).

I currently carry a little Olympus with a 10X zoom. I know the quality isn't the best, but it doesn't weigh too much and if I ever lose the thing to a stream or mountain I won't be out too many dollars.

So...I have been debating between a more expensive and lighter digital snapshooter or the 20D. Really I want them both :D I think my wife would have other thoughts.

Thanks for the thoughts though; I'll get off the fence sooner or later.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

I took my first trip with the new camera last weekend, pretty impressed with how well the camera preformed under lots of different situations. Most impressive was how well it did with hand held fast action shots of Pelicans in flight and Orca’s off a moving boat.
Not the Sierra - but here’s an example, the rest of my trip pictures are in beyond the high Sierra, Channel Islands.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4097137
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Doug, great images, looks like a wonderful trip! The orca sighting is especially cool!